Post Op horror stories?

bestillkc
on 12/13/11 1:51 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/12
I love reading the posts from everyone. :) 

I have my 1st appt with my surgeon this week.....then dietician and therapist next week...6 week bariatric classes jan 10 til feb 14 then HOPEFULLY all is clear and set to get a surgery date. 

anyone have any bad complications from the sleeve or even not being able to follow all the post op instructions (drinking fluids, rest etc) ? 

i am hoping and planning on having a fabulous surgery...ha...but i also want to be  prepared for the hard core truth of how you feel and what can happen after surgery

:)
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight charts
newme2011-2012
on 12/13/11 2:01 pm
I have not had one complication.
I can eat normal food. Drink all my water etc...
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

bestillkc
on 12/13/11 2:17 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/12
that is awesome!

LilySlim Weight charts
Jessica O.
on 12/13/11 4:37 pm - Ann Arbor, MI
First off, my experiences are fresh as I am 3 weeks post-op. 
I feel like most people do really well following their surgeon's post-op menu plan.  I however have a strong aversion to protein shakes since the hospital.  I drank protein shakes for 8 days straight before surgery/  After surgery the shakes made me queasy, too thick and just gross. 

I didn't expect it to be so hard to get back into eating.  Everything is ugh, really...do I have to eat it?!  Which is good in a way but hard to get in protein which is an everyday struggle for me, fluids as well.  I'm sure each week will get better.    

Pre-op and post-op, I have cried at food commercials.  There was definitely a feeling of loss in the beginning for me regarding food especially when you are so limited in what you can eat.  

My only complication in the hospital was that my hemoglobin was low and I needed to get a blood transfusion so my stay was a little extended.  

I will never regret this surgery.  I know that I could have never lost the weight without it.  I know for a fact that by this time next year, I'm going to look smoking hot.  I could never say that with any diet I tried.  

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

bestillkc
on 12/13/11 5:49 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/12
what made you decide to choose the sleeve over the "regular" bypass? 

i ate a salad for dinner tonight and was actually thinking how much i'll miss it at first....ha

as far as work goes...did you have to take a lot of time off? 

LilySlim Weight charts
Jessica O.
on 12/13/11 10:54 pm - Ann Arbor, MI
My first choice was the RNY.  I wanted the malabsorption and the restriction.  But after talking to fellow VSG forum members, I decided I'd rather have a working stomach instead of a tiny pouch.

I'm a stay at home mom.  

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

ALAN J.
on 12/13/11 5:17 pm
 I am still in he hospital since my surgery was only about 18 hours ago.  No complications, just general discomfort and I'm really tired.  Good luck to you, I'm gonna try to go for another walk now 

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

bestillkc
on 12/13/11 5:50 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/12
walk away!!!!!!  :)  how much time do you plan on taking off work? 

LilySlim Weight charts
ALAN J.
on 12/13/11 6:16 pm
 I am only taking 2 weeks off.  I do aviation engineering and logistical support for the Federal Gov/US Army, so I pretty much sit behind a desk most of the day. 

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

Talmani
on 12/13/11 8:51 pm - Phoenixville, PA
I didn't have a post op horror story but I did have horrible constipation which was really really awful. My program does not do a bowel prep or clear liquids the day before. That was almost more painful than the day after surgery!
Highest weight 265/ Surgery weight 256/ Goal weight 160   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views