Three Year Anniversary...

SoonSkinnyDonna
on 12/23/11 6:17 am - Dana Point, CA
 Just got a reminder email from Obesity Help that today was my three year anniversary and they asked me to share my experiences with you all - which I am happy to do since this forum was my life partner for about a year....let's see what I can remember from those days and then update you on current times.  Anyone with any questions, please feel free to ask - that's what helps us all!

I am doing great - have been really bad the last six months or so about eating whatever sounds good and is handy - then I feel like the junk food I ate and get back onto my healthy meals again - the new tummy really knows the difference between fish and veggies versus chips and candy...so does my rear and thighs...I'm gaining inches of flab there again - also haven't been exercising for those six months but I know once I get back it'll all look great again.  

My husband had his VSG in Mexicali about 9 months after I had mine and he too is doing great and amazed by it all.  We eat out a lot but always share and I try to keep us to healthier choices - we drink more wine & mixed drinks than we ever used to and it seems to help the food digest better when we eat - after a feeling of fullness we also have found it helps to have a mint or drive through a McDonalds and share a junior ice cream cone - they don't have any butter fat in their ice cream and it just feels sweet and cold and nice on a sore tummy - we often each take about 2-3 bites and then dump the rest - doesn't work at all with any other ice creams - even things like foster freeze - sorbet is also a really good choice and all you need is a couple of spoonfuls so the expense isn't so bad since a carton lasts forever -the Haagen Das blackberry or mango are the best.  

We haven't done protein shakes for the past six months but I plan to get back onto them - we've been on a skinny bagel kick for breakfast - those really then ones - we each just have a half of one with some low fat cream cheese - great tasting but no protein.

Do we both think it was the best thing in the world to have the VSG - no regrets at all!!!!  I didn't have any health problems but my husband had high blood pressure, cholesterol and sleep apnea....all gone now of course.

We really just need to be more vigilant about eating the "right" foods and getting steady exercise, but everything is so much easier now - we walk all over the place and never get tired - and can climb up and down like kids and we are both 66!

So - congrats to all who are going through the process and hurry up those of you that are waiting and worrying....we had to pay cash for ours, by the way - Blue Shield - whom I refer to as BS - would only pay for gastric bypass or the lapband - but we didn't want either of those options & it was worth paying the cash if we had to to get the better surgery with no bad after effects.  

My husband did wind up having his gall bladder go bad, so I'd recommend taking those pills to offset that which is what my surgeon had me do - forget the name now.

I remember I came home from the hospital on Christmas Eve and the next day the family all tried to take care of me but old habits are hard to break and I wound up doing all the food, etc, as usual - but then around 5pm had to go and lay down with a heating pad....but it was still a very happy Christmas for me knowing I had given myself my old body again!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all of you & may your dreams of a healthy, skinny body come true!

SoonSkinnyDonna

HW 255 SW 240 CW 158
-- & lookin good! next goal - no flabby skin?

slimpickins5280
on 12/23/11 7:26 am - CO

Congratulations on the weightloss. It sounds like life is good for you and your husband.

Best Wishes on your future.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

dittodotv
on 12/23/11 9:59 am
Thanks for sharing your story! It's so nice to hear from someone three years out!! I looked at some of the pictures and you look much more healthy now...just get back on the bandwagon of the "right stuff" and you will feel better too...just a reminder to all of us that the tiny tummy is just a tool that we need to work with.

Merry Christmas to you!!

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

Most Active