SNACKS!!!!

Ashley H.
on 12/28/11 1:20 am - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
I'm trying to get some healthy snacks to keep around the house for the hubs and kiddo so that way I am not tempted either.  Any good suggestions?  What do you like?   Also what are some healthy snacks I could keep at my desk at work?  I always use to keep candy and cookies and crackers.  I have swapped that out now for dark chocolate and fruits.  Any other ideas?  I like to share with my co-workers as this gives us time to chit chat and catch up when that raid my "snack" drawer.  The 1st time they saw the fruits they freaked!  ha-ha but it got a bunch of people at my job on board. 
vacationlover
on 12/28/11 1:24 am
Punkin Bugg
on 12/28/11 2:12 am
Good for you to think of your family and co-workers!  I buy Sargento cheese sticks, laughing cow wedges, as well as the sugar free jello and pudding by the 12-ct box.  I have to put some of it aside for myself & leave the rest for my family.  (The deli drawer is Mama's Keep Out drawer.  :)  For work, maybe peanut butter crackers, applesauce, fruit cups that are packed in water not syrup. 

HW 283  /  SW 275  /  CW  231

emelar
on 12/28/11 2:21 am - TX
Wasabi coated roasted edamame.  Has fiber and protein.

Jerky is a definite go-to.

And I usually keep a few Quest protein bars in my desk for emergencies.
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 2:28 am
jerkey and cheese sticks were my go-to's pre surgery. Can't go wrong with those. Once I'm back to eating solids, I'll see how I tolerate the jerkey.
MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 12/28/11 3:05 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
During the weight loss phase, I'd avoid too much fruit and definately stay away from the crackers.  Peanut butter can be bad too if you are watching your carbs.  For me, even the carbs in fruit can slow down my weight loss and I notice that the more fruit I eat, the more I feel hunger.  if you are going to eat fruit though, avoid the canned or processed fruit.  Eat fresh with the peel or frozen.  It has more fiber and less likely to have preservatives that can also slow down your loss.

Crackers, even whole wheat ones are processed carbs and are just empty calories.  For your family, they are certainly more healthy than cookies, snack cakes, candy, etc.  However, beware of them for yourself. 

Carb Master yogurt or Greek yogurt is good for snacks.

I also love the Emerald brand dark chocolate roasted almonds.  They are coated in cocoa and not much higher in carbs than regular almonds.  They satisfy that chocolate craving and the need for something crunchy.  Plus they are high in protein and lower in carbs than some other nuts.
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
debk21
on 12/28/11 3:25 am - Mansfield, TX
Good job thinking of others.  I also want to warn you against the crackers and peanut butter.  I keep Blue Diamond Almonds (the single serving packages are 1.5 oz. which is perfect for us), beef jerky, string cheese, laughing cow, turkey pepperoni chips and Bari Wise protein bars around for snacks and have done so for the past year.  Co-workers don't generally raid my drawer cuz it doesn't have what they are looking for and they know that I eat soooo little, that they don't want to leave me on empty.  The family has gotten used to my snacks (except the protein bars, those are off limits) and eats them regularly, which makes me happy.  Hope these suggestions help.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Happy966
on 12/28/11 4:56 am

Snacks are pretty iffy for me right now.  I don't really do too much fruit right now (though I did splurge with a small serving of fresh fruit salad at Christmas), and I can only do nuts in those 100-cal packs right now, and then only occassionally.  Chocolate wouldn't last a day in my drawer.

I don't eat recreational sugar, so I'm not tempted at all by the things I don't ever eat.  It's that grey area I find so hard.  I am pretty weak around certain foods, so I don't keep them around (salty crunchy carby things).  I am also pretty territorial about the foods I *do* eat, so nobody raids my food stash - and lives to tell about it!! 

Like most folks, I keep beef jerky around, plus some of the 90-cal packages of tuna salad and a fridge stocked with cottage cheese and SF jello.  But unplanned eating is usually bad for me.  You may feel differently, but if I were in your position, I would want to transition my coworkers into some visiting time that didn't involve food.  It was kind of weird to eat around people after surgery and I definitely wouldn't want to watch them eating my food while I wasn't!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

fypcdqt
on 12/28/11 5:08 am - Cumming, GA
The only snacks my doctor lets me have are milk based (cheese, glass of nonfat milk, latte with nonfat milk, etc.) but for the rest of my family we have sf jello and pudding, laughing cow, string cheese, mixed nuts ****ep some of these with me for emergencies).  In my car I have a lunchable with beef jerky on one side and cheese crackers on the other so I have an emergency meal(s) if I'm stranded without access to anything else. 

I have had a few too many almost emergencies, so I like to keep something with me everywhere I go.

As for coworkers, they have moved snacks to the break room instead of my desk, and we take water breaks to fill up our water bottles and they can snack if they choose.

This surgery will change your relationship with food, but also with others in your life. 

Best of luck!
Amy

Ashley H.
on 12/29/11 10:27 pm - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
Thanks everyone for all the helpful notes. I love beef jerky and cheese so this should not be a problem. ALso love nutes so yeah!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views