Do you measure???

janielynne
on 12/29/11 6:07 am
I have been thinking about trying to change things up a little bit.  Hoping to bump up the weight loss....A little slow the last few weeks.  Wondering who all measures their food daily?

If  you do, what are your guidelines????

emelar
on 12/29/11 6:11 am - TX
Yes, I do.  Generally 3 oz protein and some veggies.  Don't do much in the way of fruit - too much sugar.  I try to eyeball the same portions when I eat out, but who knows how good my eyeballing is!
46_11tobeme
on 12/29/11 6:13 am - NJ
 I do measure my food - mostly so I can have an idea of how many calories and how much protein I am getting. I dont obsess over it - usually stick to 1/4-1/2 cup and sometimes I fini**** and sometimes I dont. I also just bought a scale so I could weigh my meat. Depending on how hungry I am I will weigh out 1-2 oz. I also log my food so I can have an idea of where I am and where I might need to make changes. Sometimes I am at 600 cals, sometimes up to 900 - depends on the day! 

Mom4Jazz
on 12/29/11 6:14 am
I measure. By volume for soft foods like tuna salad/egg salad (1/4 cup = 2 oz) and by weight for dense proteins. At this point I don't weigh my veggies because they're usually just a bite, but I when I start eating more.

I measure or weigh just about everything except things that can be "split". For example, I eat half a Quest bar quite often. I'll eyeball half, knowing if I'm high today I'll be low tomorrow. But that's about the only exception.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

rhidunn
on 12/29/11 6:31 am - Annapolis, MD
3 years out and I weigh and/or measure everything so I can log/track everything.  I still only eat about 2 ounces of protein (tuna, egg, etc.) and it I don't measure and accidently eat too much - it isn't pleasant or pretty! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 6:40 am
I don't weigh or measure now, but I did for a very long time, way into my maintenance.  I would weigh 2 oz. of protein and one 1 oz. of veggies per meal.  Also, I would use the measuring cup and eat about 1/2 cup per meal for things like tuna salad or cottage cheese.  I would journal everything I put in my mouth including vitamins for calories, protein and carbs.  If I ever felt the least bit out of control with my eating, or needed to dial things back, this habit would be the very first things I would start doing again.  It is the most powerful tool I had.
slimpickins5280
on 12/29/11 6:43 am - CO
I measure so that I can keep an accurate daily food log. Guessing doesn't work for me because I always guess low.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

janielynne
on 12/29/11 7:58 am
Thank you all for the grerat tips....I will start measuring everything ASAP.  I will let you know how it goes!!

PaulaS
on 12/29/11 8:00 am - TX
I still eat mostly all  protein and measure everything when at home.   I eat 2.5 to maybe 3 ounces dense protein like chicken, pork loin, at a meal.   I do not measure veggies as I only eat a bite if anything at all.  
I measure out my Greek yogurt, too. 
When eating out, I estimate it, but always try to guess low, hopefully about 2 ounces only.  I guess I am afraid of overeating when I don't measure. 
And, I log all my food.   Not vitamins, though. 

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
debk21
on 12/29/11 8:36 am - Mansfield, TX
I weigh everything that goes into my mouth so that I can log it on FatSecret.  I put my plate on my digital scale, zero it out, and weigh everything that goes onto the plate.  I don't ever go over four ounces.  It defintely keeps me in check.  I'm afraid to eyeball it cuz I don't want to overeat for my sleeve.  I don't eat out much at all.  Good luck & hope this helps.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 139 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 406 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 434 views