Dr. Kim DFW

PkSteph
on 1/1/12 5:24 am
Ok.. I posted this in the North Texas meetup thread when I saw that the OP had gone to Dr. Kim.

"I see your surgeon was Dr. Kim (from Colleyville?) I have a consultation with him on the 11th.  What is he like? 

I have two potential surgeons I'm looking at Dr. Kim and Dr. Nicholson in Plano (I see him the same week).. "

I noticed quite a few have gone to him. lol  So I decided to ask this in it's own topic.

20maddie
on 1/1/12 6:27 am - TX
 Hi,
I'm a patient of Dr Kim's. He is the best surgeon. I have had no problems with my VSG. His staff is excellent and he has a great support group. Now having said that, you don't see a lot of him for appointments. Appointments are usually done by his PA. But other then that. I highly recommend him. I have also heard Dr Nicholson is really good.
    HW 239  SW 234  GW 135  HT 5'4

Edit   Delete  

AmberK
on 1/1/12 6:40 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Hello, I have not had surgery yet so I cannot speak of that experience. 

But, I can tell you that Dr.Nicholson is wonderful. He has over 10 yr.'s experience and he is the head bariatric doctor in Plano. I have gone to his seminar and a doctor's appt. I am waiting on insurance, then its' surgery for me! 

The thing I loved most about Dr.Nicholson was his staff. So many times, a doctor can be absolutely wonderful, but their staff is rude and hateful. The truth is, we deal more with the staff than the doctor themselves, making appts., working with insurance, etc. Not only is Dr.Nick precious, his ENTIER office staff is so very nice, and helpful. They know exactly what to do to stay on top of insurance etc. 

I hope this helps! 

PkSteph
on 1/1/12 6:51 am
Thanks for the replies!
It sounds like I'm going to have quite the choice to make.  I'm happy to know both Doctors and office staff are good at what they do.  That's comforting.

Elleisa71
on 1/1/12 7:23 am
I had surgery with Dr. Stowers in Decatur, but I have heard great things about both the doctors you mentioned. Good luck!

HW 421/SW 408//GW 180
debk21
on 1/1/12 8:00 am - Mansfield, TX
Hi PkSteph.  You do have a difficult decision.  Both doctors that you are considering are very well respected in the DFW area.  I'll be happy to tell you why I chose Dr. Kim and why I am happy with that decision.  I chose him because he has extensive experience in the field and particularly doing the VSG.  His office is a "Center of Excellence" which requires additional training and certain protocols.  His staff is VERY friendly and helpful in all areas.  His post-op diet plan is detailed and very conservative, giving you lots of time for your new baby tummy to heal.  You automatically become a support group member for life and his office runs support groups monthly.  I was also able to self-pay for a reasonable rate with one year of follow up included, as my insurance did not cover any bariatrics.  Now, why am I happy I chose him?  Well, as a previous poster noted, I don't see much of him (consult, surgery day and twice post-op) but what I needed from him was to do the best surgery possible, and that is what he did.  I have great restriction, have had no complications and VERY little pain following surgery.  I attend his support groups and they are fabulous exchanges of ideas and new information, not to mention you make new friends.  The turnout is very good on a monthly basis.  I love his nutritionist and all of the staff there.  BTW, I'm down 125 pounds so I know that I did the right thing.  Good luck in your decision.  I know that you will make the right choice for you.

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

djltl
on 1/19/12 3:28 pm - TX
OP, have you made a decision yet? Dr. Kim is my surgeon and my surgery is scheduled for 1/23. So far I feel like I have made a good decision with him. That said I have only met him once on the day of my first visit. The staff has been great with the exception of one person who was extremly rude. I actually was seeking another surgeon after my experience with that employee and the office switched the person I was dealing with to another employee and told me I would never have to deal with that employee again. So since that change I have had no problems and all the other employees have been great.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views