im hungry

corimeyers24
on 1/3/12 11:49 pm - TX
 what is an extremely low cal/carb food i can snack on between meals because 1 clementine and 1 little smokie isnt cutting it for breakfest and i ate a bunch of salad yesterday 4cups plus my meals and stayed hungry

denebbers
on 1/4/12 12:05 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
nuts and jerky do the trick for me. i seem to be getting hungrier between meals as well.
corimeyers24
on 1/4/12 12:07 am - TX
 thank you jerkey does work thats what i used to eat but i had forgot about it

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/12 12:24 am
Two years ego, during the winter months, was when I lost most of my weight.  I too wanted a low carb/low calorie food that I could eat without blowing my program.  My husband also wanted me to get in more veggies than I was eating. He came up with a new recipe, the Green Chicken soup recipe that is on my profile.  It has only 60 calories and I believe only 4 carbs.  per cup.  I could eat that anytime I was hungry.  I would just add a teaspoon of low-fat sour cream on top, and my world was complete.  You are welcome to try it.  I think I lived on it, and so did most of OH at that time, after I shared the recipe.  :)
jengo1971
on 1/4/12 12:37 am

Yes, make the green chicken soup Elina speaks of below.  You WILL NOT regret it!  Tastes great, very filling, and wont hinder wt loss.  Good luck.  ~Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
corimeyers24
on 1/4/12 12:37 am - TX
 thank you ill look at it

dollyctimeforme
on 1/4/12 3:39 am
Thanks Elina for the chicken soup reciept sounds filling as well as delicious. Plan on buying the food items today. Will let ya know what I think. You are always an inspiration, teacher and warrior when it comes to  weight loss. Love the fact that you keep it real and you don't sugar coat this journey. We truly have to be honest and diligent.  Again Thank you. Dolly
Happy966
on 1/4/12 3:40 am

I just want to add that it looks like you're just past 5 weeks out.  That was the time I was cleared for all foods, and honestly, was when I had my most problems with hunger.  I was still very gentle on my tummy, eating softer foods than I do now.  I think that was a wise strategy, but it left me hungry at times. 

The hunger has really abated with time, probably because I am eating a wider variety of foods and understanding what does and doesn't work for me.  I'm just saying this because it got a lot better for me, so you might get to a better place in a few weeks or months too.  Just don't push a lot of hard-to-digest foods too early.  Eat a little bit at a time, more often, at first - maybe 5 times a day? - to not overload your healing tummy. 

The best thing I could advise you is to focus on dense protein.  A clementine would not satisfy my hunger on any level.  I have eaten them post-op (one over the holidays), it was yummy, but it wouldn't do anything for me hunger-wise. 

Things that really work are dense chicken breast (meaning, not chopped up in a salad, but homemade or strips like you can get precooked and flavored - my No. 1 hunger blocker), beef jerky, pork, then dense pieces of fish, like tuna, salmon or swordfish.  Same caveat, pieces of meat, not chopped up in chili or salad or anything.  Surprisingly, cottage cheese really stays with me, but your milage may vary.  Use a little sauce (Frisco calls it "food lube") but too much liquid in my tummy during a meal washes the food through much quicker.

On the veggie side, any kind of dense fibrous veggie (esp raw) really stays with me, but you are probably too early out to be eating raw veggies.  Favorites are brocolli, asparagus and cabbage.

Things that are great foods, but don't do much for me hunger-wise at a normal 2 oz portion are good cuts of beef, canned tuna (lots of protein, but doesn't last), other whole flakey fish, chili, any kind of cheese except cottage cheese, nuts, lettuce, spinach, bacon, most soups.  So, if I'm hungry, a piece of string cheese is a bad choice - it's almost like I didn't eat anything, just wasted calories.  Same with almonds.  However, a one-ounce piece of beef jerky does the trick.

For soup like Elina's chicken soup, I eat the broth, then eat the chicken, to make it last in the tummy longer. 

Finally, are you drinking enough?  I am not hungry if I am drinking enough between meals.

Hope this helps!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 146 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 421 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 439 views