Have I hit a STALL!!

greatmomof2
on 1/4/12 4:07 am - CA
Hello fellow vsgers....i am 51/2 mos out and  have lost 56lbs.Since i have hit my fifth month, i am back and forth between 163 and 161 lbs....i can not seem to get below this weight. How long does a stall last? Should i consider doing the diet to get over the plateau now? At first i was thinking i was losing my weight too quickly but not seeing the scale drop in about 3 weeks now is FRUSTRATING
wildfan
on 1/4/12 4:50 am

In my experience, its likely not a stall, its a correction.  Three weeks, in the grand scheme of things, is nothing.  I have been much in the same boat for the last month.  I had surgery April 12 2011, and by Nov 12 (7 months) had lost 135 pounds.  Since Nov 12 I have lost only 6 more, and just this past week I gained 4 of it back (how the hell I can gain 4 pounds in one week at 1,200 calories a day I have no idea) for a net loss in the last 6+ weeks of 2 pounds.  Frustrating?  Hell yeah.  But as my doctor has told me repeatedly "this is not a race, its a journey".  Your body and metabolism will rebel from time to time like this.  And most people say 1-6 weeks like this is just a correction.  A true stall lasts for months.  Best advice I have seen and belive is just stay the course.  Be honest with yourself.  My problem is two fold: 1) I was getting slack in my eating.  Not eating bad, but snacking a bit more than I was, and not being as diligent through the holidays on watching what and how often I was eating, and 2) I injured my back and have been getting ZERO exercise the last two months.  But I get an epidural steroid injection tomorrow, and will be jogging in Florida this weekend!

So...boilng it down to a short response: re-evaluate your eating to make sure you are eating right (quantity and quality), make sure you are getting your liquids, make sure you are getting your protein, make sure you are getting your exercise, and if all that checks out, just be stubborn and mentally tell this correction that you can wait it out.

Good luck! 

greatmomof2
on 1/12/12 1:35 am - CA
OMG...You should be proud of yourself!!!135lbs, a 135 lbs that is awesome...we get so used to seeeing the scale drop evry week and when we dont see it go down for awhile, WE FREAK OUT!! LOL
I know i have been snacking a bit more and it scares the hell out of me because i was a grazer before and i keep asking myself am i going to back to my old ways?? i have become conscience of it so i try to take notice if i should have it because its my snack time or i'm just mindless eating? I hope i start to lose something soon. I lost half a lb this week so hopefully that is a start to something.
So how did the steroid injection workout for you? where you running in that beautiful Florida weather this weekend? i hope everything works out for you..I see you have a huge goal ahead of you.

Best Wishes to you!!!
20maddie
on 1/4/12 4:53 am - TX
I am with you on this one. We were sleeved on the same day. I have lost 54 pounds, but I have been stalled for the past month at 183. The scale is not moving at all.  I am going to try and up my protein to 100 a day and also up my fluids to close to 100oz per day and see if that shakes it up. So hopefully that will work.  Good luck and hopefully the stall will pass soon.
    HW 239  SW 234  GW 135  HT 5'4

Edit   Delete  

greatmomof2
on 1/12/12 1:52 am - CA
I was getting scared because i saw all these ppl who were sleeved the same day as i was losing alot more than me...i was worried because i thought i wasn't doing something right...I am so happy bthat we have lost about the same weight we are still in the norm. I just hate that I haven't lost anything. This past week i lost half a lb so HOPEFULLY I'm on the right track. I feel great losing all this weight!
You know just until recently have i have able to drink water and unsweetened tea whithout a problem. Lat week i upped my fliud intake to the 100 oz but when i eat i am so full..I can't eat much. Eveytime I am able to eat or drink just a little bit more, i freak out because i think i am stretching out my sleeve and that is the one thing i think i obsess over...lol

Good luck and i hope we both start losing something real soon.
startingover1
on 1/4/12 8:04 am - MI
I am in the middle of a stall myself..nothing in the last 2 weeks.  But I am attributing it to the holidays and too much socializing (wine).  So, I've started documenting my food intake, making sure to hit may protein number, watch my carbs and NO WINE.  Also, back to exercising on a more regular bases.   I am hoping after a week of that, it will jump start things again. 

I feel great and think I look pretty good, but I want to meet my goal of 40 more pounds by mid spring, so I really have to focus.  Good luck.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 223 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 302 views