To those travelling abroad for surgery... family question

moonglo82
on 1/10/12 11:33 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Anyone tell their family about their plans, only to be met with absolute resistance from the most surprising people? 

I am doing this for me and only for me, although I'm sure my marriage will benefit too from my being that much healthier.  I guess I was just a bit disappointed, and almost shocked, that my mother-in-law, who has had a DS herself, doesn't want me having the surgery if it means going to Mexicali. 

My in-laws live within ten minutes of my home, and I don't like the idea of not being able to be honest with my mother-in-law about what I'm doing without starting an argument or having to listen to her telling me why my decision is "wrong."  Lord knows I don't feel like I can talk to my own parents about this (long story)...  having a little family support close to home would have been such a nice thing to have.  Oh well. 

I'm still pumped about this, and I'm convinced that, if she was to actually look into what I'm doing, she would agree.  But she won't give it that chance.  Her loss.  But still.

Sorry just had to vent.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

newme2011-2012
on 1/10/12 11:57 am
I only told my husband and daughters and two very good friends who I knew would support me.
I didn't want the negative responses about surgery , but especially Mexico. My one friend was really afaid of me going to Mexico (I went alone) but I emailed her as soon as I was out of surgery to let her know all was good..
No regrets!

Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

moonglo82
on 1/10/12 12:16 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
True!

The only reason I thought I could tell her was because she has has WLS too... and in fact, she paid about 2/3 of my husband's cost when he had his.  So I thought she would understand.  Instead, it's been "how are you gonna pay for it?" and "you don't need to go flitting off to Mexico just because you didn't like the way the staff acted at the other dr's office."  Hmph.

I'm just the kinda girl who is usually an open book.  I can forsee myself not having any problem whatsoever telling whoever wants to know about my surgery.  And I miss being able to talk to my own parents about whatever I want, but I guess this serves as a good reminder that MIL isn't there to fill that void.

Good thing I can come here! :)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

AzureAurora
on 1/10/12 12:24 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
I have scheduled my surgery for Feb 6/12 with Dr. Acevesd as well.  I have chosen not to tell my family or my children who live out of province. I have told a couple of close friends and that is it. I know my family will be celebrating my successes with me once they happen but just do not want to deal with the extra pressure of causing them stress. Work, school work and a new boyfriend are plenty to deal with.

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

comeundone
on 1/10/12 12:35 pm, edited 1/10/12 12:38 am - OH
I did not fess up to my mom till two nights before my surgery she acted so blase, my sister asked her if she knew what surgery I was having her response was "yes a tummy tuck" after we stopped laughing she seemed P.O. after we told her, she did not talk to us the rest of the evening. I plan on going to Mexico for plastics when the time comes...might tell her sooner this time
HW 289  SW 242

goingforit1
on 1/10/12 12:53 pm
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I'm pretty sure when they hear we are traveling to Mexico (I'm going in Feb) they are thinking of shabby, dirty, dangerous areas with unlicensed surgeons that do botch jobs that end up on the Oprah show. I am certain that their negativity is purely out of concern for our health and safety.

Having said that, I still do not plan to tell ANYONE aside from my husband who is going with me. I know how it will sound to my family, especially my mother. I know that it will only make me sad and stressed to hear that negativity so I choose not to tell. I may tell once it's done if I'm complication free (hopeful!) but this decision is one I am SO SURE OF that the resistance will only hurt my feelings, not change my mind, so what's the point of telling them? None! Not for me anyway.

Honestly I would have felt the same way as them had I not done my research. People have their ideas and impressions that can't be changed so whatever.

Good luck to you!!! Let it slide right off and let them withhold their support if that is what they choose.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views