I never told my husband

Magenta73
on 1/20/12 7:42 am
Today was the first time my husband found out how much I weighed.

He went from being shocked, to be angry, to then wanting to hurry up with the surgery, saying he would have had me do it several years ago if he had known.

He never asked me how much I weighed in the past few years, and I never offered to tell him. Who wants to tell their significant other "Oh by the way I am in the 300's now"?

It's easier to ignore the problem if you don't have to be held accountable, you know?

He now wants to get the whole family involved with changing our eating habits and portions.

So, the truth I had been ashamed to admit to all this time has actually turned around and made me feel like we are in this journey together now.
VeronicaJ5
on 1/20/12 7:49 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
It definitely helps to have family on board
dittodotv
on 1/20/12 7:50 am
VeeBee
on 1/20/12 8:55 am - OH
VSG on 01/23/12
Been reading posts on this forum for months and this is the first one that ever made me tear up. I never told my husband how much I weigh either (my surgery is Monday). I may someday, way down the road.  My weight was always the proverbial elephant in the room (no pun intended). It was NOT discussed, other than he once told me he didn't like what my weight did to me...meaning that it held me back from doing a lot of things I wanted to do.  He has always been very supportive of my multiple attempts at weight loss. Thanks for the post. Nice to know I'm not alone.
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/12 10:19 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
Sweety, I am so happy for you. My husband has an "idea" about how much I weigh but not the exact number.  I may tell him the truth one day but I'm not comfortable enough to tell him yet. I think it's great that you told him. I am so happy that he's supportive and has never made you feel bad. I am lucky that my husband has never really been rude or made me feel bad. I think the only comment my husband ever made was, when I first gained about 30 lbs in a short period of time, he didn't mind weight gain he was just shocked it was in such a small period of time. I understood where he was coming from. I was shocked I gained so much so fast too. It was after I quit smoking and it was brutal. Luckily, though, he's never been rude. Of course he gained a bunch of weight one time too and I'm sure that made him much more understanding.
September903
on 1/20/12 10:31 pm
Weight is such a personal thing. Chosing to have Weightloss surgery is also personal.. It's great that you felt comfortable sharing with him and I hope that all your husbands and family continue to support you during this journey. Honestly I never to this day told my husband my weight or that I had surgery. I had an experimental band put on in 1998 that caused much problems including a very bad hernia. So when I went in to have the old band removed and hernia corrected, I got my VSG. My husband to this day only knows about the band removal and hernia. Because the hernia had become so large it had attached itself to other organs and took 6.5 hours to remove. My husband and family are all naturally thin and fit and my husband has never been a proponent of surgery of any kind, but especially for weight and cosmetics. Therefore I chose not to tell hiim. And I have no regrets. I did not need or want any negativity in making "my personal decision." -That said, I am sincerely happy that you had someone you felt comfortable enough with to share your weight with. Best of luck to you all.

joeswife
on 1/20/12 11:08 pm - CA
Ah, the dreaded subject...how much we weigh and not telling the husband. Well even though I have had surgery and am losing I still haven't told my husband what I weigh! LOL I am waiting until I reacj my goal weight. I am sure he has an idea about where I was by how much I have said I have lost.

I am so happy for you that your husband is on board! It will make it much easier for you. As for my family, I am the cook, so I cook for me now and sometimes add a few extra carbs or a different side dish for them. But basically everyone is happy and very satisfied with my menus! They will see you feel and look better too!

My husband told me the other week I was skinny! SKINNY!!!!!! Did you hear that? SKINNY?!?!

That is funny and wonderful, this is the first time in 30 years I weigh less than him!!! Life is so wonderful, the sleeve has made life good again.

Good luck to you and congrats, you have a whole new life ahead of you. And just wait to see how it feels when the hubby says, Honey you look skinny!

Magenta73
on 1/21/12 3:31 am
 Thank you all! It was a very difficult thing to do but I feel so much better now, like weight (pun intended) has been lifted off of me.  He has always said he doesn't want me to be skinny, just healthy, and I haven't been there for a long time. It will be nice to be on the loser's bench in a few short weeks. Thank you for all the well wishes!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views