Help!! Cloak of invisibility fading!!

Stronger1
on 1/20/12 4:25 am - Charlotte, NC
I'm only down 40 pounds, but people are starting to notice.  My pants sag, my face looks thinner, I walk a little straighter...and twice today as I was walking down the hallway at work 2 guys that I pass by all the time who barely make eye contact looked straight at me and said hi!!! What?? I was like, "Who are they talking to...me?" And then earlier this week a guy I work with (who doesn't know I had surgery) said I was looking good and to keep it up...he's never said anything that personal to me...what gives??  Are people/men starting to recognize that I am a person and (even more shocking) a girl??
I'm horrible at handling attention, especially from men.  I can't take a compliment gracefully.  How am I going to deal without my cloak of invisibility? 

SkinnyJeansSoon
on 1/20/12 4:30 am
I know exactly how you feel. I am struggling with this now as well. Sometimes I just want to hide.

(VSG - 10/20/2011)
HT: 5'9

AmberK
on 1/20/12 4:33 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 I was just thinking the same thing!  I am a school teacher and I was going to have surgery over spring break but because of all the pre op stuff and post op visits I have decided to wait until right when school is out. So now my concern is, if I loose 50-60 pounds by the time school starts, it will be very awkward to deal with all the teachers on teacher orientation day. I don't want to draw that much attention to myself. I live in a small town where all of us teachers pretty much know of each other. 
Stronger1
on 1/20/12 4:39 am - Charlotte, NC
I feel ya!! This week is the first week I've had comments about my weight loss and it feel weird, like an invasion of my privacy.  I've been back at work since 2 weeks after surgery, so my loss to them has been very gradual...but when you go back it's going to be like "BLA-DOW, Look at me now!!!"" LOL.  Let's just try to enjoy the ride!

RHCP
on 1/20/12 4:47 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
Remember also- when YOU are feeling better- and smiling and holding your head up HIGH they see you. It's NOT JUST BC you lost weight- you will carry yourself diffently.

YOu feel better about yourself and it comes out!

OnederlandHereICom
e

on 1/20/12 5:04 am
Practice saying "Thank you" with a smile. 

I never could accept a compliment without putting myself down. A good friend called me on it and said that I didn't need to say anything other than "thank you" and smile.

I'm glad that cloak of invisibility is gone.  Now I have to fix my hair and put on makeup before I run to the store because now it DOES make a difference.  

Besides, it's fun to go into Home Depot and not to have to fend for myself anymore :)  It's kind of fun when the sales guy insists on walking me to the aisle, and explaining to me how to use whatever it is I am buying LOL.

I swear people think my IQ had jumpde by 20 points - all of a sudden I'm taken seriously.

Enjoy it - and embrace it.  It's a good thing!

Like the butterfly,  I have the strength and the hope to believe 
In time I will emerge from my cocoon... Transformed. Kirsti A. Dyer, MD, MS

Stronger1
on 1/20/12 5:19 am - Charlotte, NC
LOL...that's hilarious about getting help at Home Depot...so true!!  We big girls get ignored horribly!! I do look forward to that!!!

2breakfree
on 1/20/12 5:39 am - NC
I understand... I can't take a compliment without thinking .....OK what do you want or what are you going to say now. Maybe you can use the invisible cloak for Halloween

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change and the courage to change the things I can. Above all the wisdom to know the difference    
LaughingCow
on 1/20/12 6:18 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the attention that I know will come with the weight loss. I wish the weight loss weren't so fast b/c that will draw attention. I wish I could just erase people's memories of me as fat. Not b/c I'm ashamed, I just don't want to be noticed.
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
happyteacher
on 1/20/12 9:55 am
 Man can I relate to this.  If I had it my way people just wouldn't comment on my weight loss.  Weird- i can joke about being fat and it doesn't bother me- start losing weight and the weight loss bothers me.  For me, I think deep down I worry I won't lose enough or that I will just put it back on, and thus fail again.  

People at work have noticed a bit.  What they have noticed even more are the protein shakes, as I don't try to hide them.  Oh well.  I will get over it when I am thinner and healthier!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 76 views