Hello I'm New here, Just had my 1st Consult and I'm so Excited and Motivated

Michael L.
on 1/19/12 8:55 pm - Fall River, MA
 My name is Michael. I'm from Fall River, MA. I just met my surgeon who was highly recommended to me by my primary doc. Dr. Nichol Pecquex from St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Brighton, MA. She was so Amazing!!!! She never rushed me and made me feel like i was her best friend. My only regret is not meeting her 3yrs earlier. I was scared and terrified about Bariatric Surgery. I urge anyone in the New England area to check her out. Due to my very high BMI, her advice is to do the sleeve, see how i do and most likely convert that to a Gastric Bypass once the weight stops shedding. If i can lower the BMI by diet prior to surgery she may go ahead and do the Gastric Bypass from the get go.

I have some questions about diet PRE OP. I have an appointment with the nutritionist in a few weeks. I want to get a jump on it before my appointment and lose a good amount of weight.

Any suggestions?

The surgeon Told me a Modified Atkins diet with protein and vegetables pro op would be good. I just wanted to see if i could get some extra advice here. She recommended I come visit this forum.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
God Bless,
Michael

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

BigJohn78
on 1/19/12 9:21 pm - Spring, TX
VSG on 10/01/10 with
Welcome to the forum Michael!
I would say if you wanted to drop some pounds pre-op the modified Atkins would be good. Try to eliminate all the simple carbs out of your diet, the only carbs you want now will come from fruit and vegetables. So if you stick with mostly good protein (beef,chicken fish, etc.) and add in fresh fruit & veg. sparingly you will see a difference. When you get closer to your surgery date your doctor will most likely have you on a pre-op liquid diet and you will definitely drop the pounds then! This is a great place to ask all the questions you want and to learn all about your upcoming surgery.

Congratulations on starting your life changing journey,
John

HW:340lbs.  SW:310lbs.  GW:220lbs.  CW:190lbs.  WL:150lbs.
                        Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                     http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

***WWAD***

onemoretry
on 1/19/12 9:25 pm - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Hi Michael, Welcome! Congrats on making the choice to do something about your weight. That is not an easy decision.There quite a few people on the board that had a pretty big BMI, when they started. They have lost all of their weight and are happy with just the sleeve. You may turn out to be one of those people and will not need to convert. Good Luck on your journey!
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

ALAN J.
on 1/19/12 9:40 pm
Welcome to the club! 

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

momsy55
on 1/19/12 11:19 pm - ME
Welcome Michael!  I live in Maine now, but grew up in Melrose, just north of Boston.  St. E's is a great hospital and it sounds like your surgeon is a good one too.  As someone else said, you may find that the sleeve is enough or you may want to go forward with the bypass.  Either way, welcome aboard and best of luck!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

SuzanneR
on 1/20/12 12:12 am - Randolph, NJ
 Hi Michael! Welcome!! I wish you much success on your weight loss journey :)

Pat H.
on 1/20/12 4:56 am
Glad you to see you! This is a great place for support and information. Hope you share your journey and successes with us!

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views