Feeling Violated!

tanieanie
on 1/23/12 1:53 pm - WI
9 months ago when I had my surgery I chose not to tell my co-workers or even my bosses what type of surgery I was having.  When I filled out my medical leave form, I simply attached a letter from my surgeon stating that I was scheduled to have medically necessary surgery.   Recently while going over some of my employment records at work I noticed the term BARIATRIC SURGERY listed as the reason for my medical leave.  WHAT!!!!   How the hell did that happen??  I do not have insurance through my job because we take it through my hubbies job. So I know the info didn't come through that avenue.  Its right there for benefits, payroll, HR and anyone having access to my file to see.  Am I overreacting?  how did they get that info and even if they suspected it..... they couldn't have known for sure to put in on paper....

VeronicaJ5
on 1/23/12 1:57 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
If you put it on anything (eg fmla or disability paperwork) they know, I had to actually put bariatric surgery on my leave stuff
madamsaphyre
on 1/23/12 2:00 pm - Middletown, OH
Did the letter head from the surgeons letter say anything about bariatrics on it? Or maybe one of your people in HR took it upon themselves to look up your doctor to see what kind of surgery he specializes in. Some in the office may even know of your doctor from personal associations. I wouldnt let it bother you too much. Your co-workers should never have access to your personal info and if the office workers are professional they will keep their mouths shut about it too. I wouldnt worry too much about it, unless you hear someone talking about it. Then you can report them for breaking the confidentiality of your information.

MadamSaphyre

CharTake2
on 1/25/12 9:04 am - Olmsted Falls, OH
VSG on 01/16/12
 With the hippa laws no one can talk about your records. They can be terminated.
tanieanie
on 1/23/12 2:02 pm, edited 1/23/12 2:08 pm - WI
nope.   FMLA just had medically necessary surgery and no disability.   My surgeon is a general surgeon who also performed my hernia repair a few years ago and removed a few tumors last year.   So no-one would automatically associate him with bariatric surgery.   Oh well,  whats done is done.   I guess I'm more embarrassed than anything as I didn't want anyone to know.

Allie A.
on 1/23/12 2:20 pm - Canada
I work in short-term disability claims, and here is how I understand it to work. You do not have to provide your employer wIth a diagnosis if it is a leave without pay. All you need is a medical note from a doctor. If you will be paid on your leave it is probably through some sort of disability insurance policy. Insurance policies require a diagnosis as well as other details about your illness. As part of procedure in my office, all doctors are verified, and credentials are noted. That means I see that the doctor who wrote you off work is a bariatric surgeon. Doctors names, specialities and contact information is public record and can be easily looked up.

The people in HR also have your banking, tax, and all of your personal information. If you're concerned about privacy in your HR department, you should worry about that stuff first.
VeronicaJ5
on 1/23/12 2:25 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
I'm actually kind of curious how it happened ...you dont happen to work for a, hospital do you?
karenmac3
on 1/23/12 7:51 pm - Dunlap, IL
As an HR professional, I can confirm we live with all sorts of privacy issues every day. The people in payroll know which people are having court-ordered wage garnishments for not paying child support, we are the ones that look into harrassment claims, and lots of other highly personal details. Your personnel file should be secure to only those with the need to know. I can't speak to how they may have known (your release back to work?!?) but feel confident that this info is safe with HR. it's a fireable offense if we disclose without your permission.
 38 yrs old, 5'8"   HW: 338   SW: 307.2   CW: 235.0

PrettyEyes_41
on 1/23/12 10:38 pm - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
HIPPA laws prevent them from disclosing your information to anyone so hopefully they've had that training and know the consequences of telling anyone outside of the department.
countrytat
on 1/23/12 10:56 pm - OH
VSG on 01/31/12
I just turned in my leave form yesterday and specifically check with the HR Manager. He said on my leave form which my boss will see i dont have to put why, just medical leave fmla..... on the fmla paper I put sleeve gastrectomy and gall bladder. The HR dept said my boss will not know.... and its KILLING my boss to know why I am going to be out! LOL Fkers let them wonder. None of their business! Anyway HR can't tell anyone, if they do then you can sue them.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views