Anyone else have a REALLY big dog, how did you deal with it?

mommy794
on 1/26/12 12:01 am

I have a 90# St. Bernard and she's a big baby who loves to love on us ...so I'm trying to figure out ways to deal with her but not totally just stick her outside and ignore her for weeks til I'm more well and able to tend to her. She's good about sitting and not jumping on you mostly unless she's really excited! lol

C. Harvey
on 1/26/12 12:07 am, edited 1/26/12 12:08 am
VSG on 01/11/12
My doggy is a pomapoo and even tho he isn't big...only weighs about 10lbs if that he loves to lay on my stomach at night to sleep. It was so hard keeping him from jumping on me...even now...and he thinks I'm mad at him when I stop him from jumping or tell him he can't do that...breaks his heart! MY hardest part though was trying to explain to my 2 year old daughter that mommy couldn't lift her, hold her, rock her...it was so hard and she would cry. Broke my heart.

mommy794
on 1/26/12 12:14 am
Awww I can imagine with little ones, they don't understand...luckily my kids are 17 and 20, it's just my other babies I have to worry about. That's my thing too is I will feel bad if I have to swat her to keep her down but I guess I'll have to do what it takes until I'm healed.
C. Harvey
on 1/26/12 12:21 am
VSG on 01/11/12
After I went back for my 1 week post op my doc told me I could go back to work and I could also lift my daughter. My stomach is still sore around where my bigger incision was, but other then that I'm fine. So hopefully it won't be too long and you can love on your furbabies!

Krazydoglady
on 1/26/12 12:22 am - FL
 I lost my 140lb Saint ***** last year at 7. They are wonderful dogs. 

Make sure your husband or someone else in the house is getting her out for exercise.  Tired dogs are good dogs.  Also, do training exercises with her that aren't too physical for you.  Practice 'touch', sit, etc.,  That's time and attention your giving her; so, she doesn't have to come demand it. Saints wear out pretty quickly; so, it won't take much.

The #1 thing to remember about Saints is that they need to be trained when they are a manageable size.  The #2 thing to remember is that they are big babies, and if you put her outside and ignore her you will likely pay a price for it. For example, she might chew up something inappropriate (like the door frame) and it will get lodged in her stomach. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

MyOwnSunshine
on 1/26/12 12:28 am
Start obedience training now.  Use obedience commands (sit or down, mine also knows "easy" and "get right"). 

I have an excitable 55 pound German Wirehaired Pointer, and life went on as usual after surgery.  I warned him to be careful when he jumped up on the couch or bed to lay next to me.  I'd never lock him away from me -- he's like my security blanket or comfy teddy bear -- I can't sleep or relax without him next to me.  My pets are part of the family and I'd no more try to put them in the back yard after surgery than I would my daughter. 

Actually, my dog has been my comfort through several surgeries and he's great company and a great snuggler -- I can't imagine recovering without him.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
mommy794
on 1/26/12 12:49 am
   Thanks for all the tips ladies, and I forgot my hubby will be off for 2 weeks with me so that will help too. She does will with sit and stay and easy so I'm going to try and really work with her alot until my surg on feb. 6 so she knows I mean biz. LOL 
     KDL we had a St. B that was 12 and we had to put her down on Dec. 30 she slipped in a puddle and she was so old and big and had bad arthritis...so she basically crushed a vertabrae in her back and was unalbe to walk. The poor baby tried SO hard to pull her self up and get to the house that she also dislocated her shoulder. She was about 45 feet away in our back yard. The vet said she was so old esp. for a St. B that there was really nothing to do for her :( it was horrible we had her for about 10 years so me, my girls and my hubby were all bawling. Then a week later my oldest who works at a store by our house was talking to a lady ...who just so happened to have Harley and was trying to GIVE her away! Her daughter who grad HS with my daughter bought her for $900...then after she was about a yr old dropped her with her moma who has a fenced yard about 5 months ago...so moma gave her to us :)  Harley is GREAT she's really helped us heal, there will never be another Lexi that's for sure...she was a wonderful dog and super smart! 
CharTake2
on 1/26/12 1:10 am - Olmsted Falls, OH
VSG on 01/16/12
 I have two English Springers and we just kept telling them that mommy has a boo boo.  I always use an "ouch" command when they get to close for comfort.  They sleep with my husband and me and so far so good  I was sleeved Jan 16.  When I came home and they were so excited to see me, I simply kept turning my back to them until I could sit down and kept telling them, "mommy has a boo boo".  Never no problem.  Dogs are really smart and they can tell when you are hurt - they can smell the changes especially if you have a drain.

We did hire a dog walker for the days my husband was going back and forth from the hospital to home so they got some excercise too.  

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/26/12 1:15 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I have a 10 year old golden and a 2 year old Bouvier Bernois - each weighs about 110 lbs.. my goal weight!!! LOL!!! the Golden is a big teddy bear and getting on in years so he is slowing a little. The BB is fiesty and young and bounces off of walls and all sorts of other surfaces including our bodies. It will be a challenge indeed! But hopefully she will switch on to needing to take greater care with me for a while after surgery. Doggies are so sensitive.. they will know I hope!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mommy794
on 1/26/12 1:20 am
Want, you must be a SHORTY like me if your goal is 110 ! :) Heck I'm going for 135 ish and I'm 5'0" but I would be estatic at 125 which is what I have to be to have a NORMAL BMI!! Those charts still seem low to me. I can't imagine ever being that small again but we will see with time. I'm sch, for 2-6 I can't wait! I think ya'll are all right too, pups are smart and they do sense things.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 251 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views