Decisions, decisions, decisions

ooo2bthin
on 2/1/12 11:11 am
Hello everyone,

I am meeting with my surgeon tomorrow and need to finalize my surgery choice.  I know each surgery has its drawbacks.  I am starting to think that I have a real problem with sugar, therefore, am contemplating Gastric bypass.  However, I did not want to do the rearranging of the intestines.   Were any of you sugar lovers and if so, do you have any control now that you have had the sleeve?  Does the removal of the gherlin do anything for the sugar cravings?  Any help that you can give is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance and congratulations on your success. 
Soosy
on 2/1/12 11:46 am - TX
Personally... Sugar doesn't settle well with my sleeve.. it gives me really strange gas, and usually within minutes of eating something super sweet I feel miserable... hot flashes and other not so good feeling symptoms. I think it's dumping. not really sure. I don't necessarily CRAVE sweets, beyond the dark chocolate cravings around that time of month. But sweet things taste much sweeter so far. I even bought sugar free creamer for my coffee, the store brand tastes much sweeter to me than the coffee mate brand. I can't hardly drink the one I have right now.

in general, just know that things you like now, you may not like (at least for a while) post-op. this can be a great thing though!

It's really all about the choices and the discipline...
~Susan
http://samesoosy.blogspot.com
VSG: September 13, 2011   HW:285    SW:253

DarleneR
on 2/1/12 11:48 am
I'm about 16 months out from my surgery and until recently sugar made me sick and I avoided it at all costs.  It wasn't worth how terrible I felt afterwards.

HW/SW/GW/CW
296/277/180/185.6
Assilem7779
on 2/1/12 11:54 am
VSG on 01/03/12
 I am a sugar holic I love the candies but after having the surgery I don't miss it there are time when I think or when I see someone with my fav Reese's butter cups or sweet tarts and just want to take it away and shove it in my mouth but then I think it's not worth it...Even if u have the bypass you are still gonna go threw sugar withdrawal...good luck with whatever choice you make...but I wouldn't trade my sleeve for anything..
   HW-257 PRE-OP-246 CW-223 GOAL-140                 
JAN-26lbs FEB-      MAR-     APR-     MAY-     JUN-     JULY-     AUG-     SEPT-     OCT-     NOV-     DEC-            
happyteacher
on 2/1/12 8:21 pm
 Pretty much all of my overeating can be traced directly to sugar/carb issues.  I too contemplated the bypass, but in the end wanted to avoid the permanent elimination of some medications (Nsaids and such).  My sugeon gently asked about the RNY too given my situation.

It is shocking to me how much better cravings are and overall management of them has been going very well.  Not perfect, but very very well.  There is not constant hunger, and the little bit of hunger I do have can be dealt with by my finding some type of activity to keep me occupied.  I am not far enough out right now to say that sugar will not eventually be an issue, but right now it is for sure not a problem.  Of course I avoid it though and the sleeve is helping the avoidance to be far easier than I thought it would be prior to surgery.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views