Time to work on my emotional eating....

moonglo82
on 2/3/12 6:38 am
VSG on 03/29/12

I know that after being sleeved, emotional binging will be dangerous, if not impossible, especially in the first several weeks/months.  That's why I need to work on this NOW.

I had a horrible day at work.  Well, maybe that's not entirely fair.  Most of the day wasn't that bad, but I found out that my boss did something behind my back that was beyond distasteful, if nothing else.  I don't want to get into it here for anonymity's sake, but let's just say that what she did felt vindictive and brought back a lot of emotions that triggered me emotionally eating my way into gaining back every ounce I had lost with weigh****chers.  I had thought that all of this issue at work was behind me, but apparently not. 

I keep going back and forth between wanting to lay down and cry and get up and eat.  My husband is taking me out tonight, so maybe that will help. 

But now I'm being reminded that I need to find non-food coping mechanisms to deal with this type of situation.  

Ugh! 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

MelissaMommyto5
on 2/3/12 7:59 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I just finished a book called "The Emotional 1st Aid Kit"...it was great!  It helps guide you through some of that exact stuff.. For instance, it recommends making a list of all the activities you could do OTHER than eating when you get stressed out.  Then you start practicing...so...instead of chocolate, you surf the web; instead of alchol, you take a walk with the dog; etc.  I used a highlighter (which I haven't done since college) & marked the crap out of that book, it had tons of great stuff in it.

Good luck with your work struggles & best wishes on redirecting your emotional eating. ~Melissa

MN_Mama
on 2/3/12 8:00 am
How about a long walk with a dog?   Nothing like a happy pooch to lighten your spirits. 

If you don't have one of your own, borrow a neighbor's or volunteer at the Humane Society.   You get the endorphins, the great stress relief, a little exercise and the satisfaction of making a co-earthling's day.  Really....dogs GROOVE on a good walk, and they usually manage to work a smile out of who they're with.

If canine's aren't your thing, grab a good friend (or the hubby :)  ) and hit the road.  Walking is pretty effective at lowering stress.

Best of luck at work.  I've had jobs that haunt me at home before, and they suck.  Hope all works out for you.

moonglo82
on 2/3/12 10:14 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Thanks so much to you both! I will look into that book, and I would love to walk a dog, but I would probably need to look into volunteering at a shelter to do that, because we don't have a dog.

I don't know how I'm going to make myself go back in Monday... :/

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 176 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 474 views