survival

sidneystuart
on 2/24/12 10:47 am
As I try to make the decision to have this drastic surgery, i am amazed at the amounts of weight people loose in the first few months. Arent you dizzy, tired, ketotic? is there a total calorie input, how do you achieve it eating a few sips?? it seems unhealthy, but u all seem happy?!?
also i am wondering how does one's family adapt to this new eating regime, my husband is normal, never overeats, 145#
i am frightened, but know i have to do something.
twelvegates
on 2/24/12 11:47 am
VSG on 02/13/12
I went through all of the same thoughts and have a "normal" husband as well.

First off, I really focus on protein and fluids--since the preop phase--and haven't experienced any fatigue or dizziness. I may be in ketosis, but take lots of breath mints.

The preop was the worst phase for me, and my surgeon allowed one 3 oz "meal" of fish or chicken per day, which is much less restrictive than other plans. Nonetheless, as I focused on the protein drinks, I can't say I was that hungry. And since I knew it was my goal to get to the surgery, it seemed like my 2 weeks of preop restrictions went quickly. 

My VSG surgery was really uneventful, though not everyone has that experience. Following surgery, I started another, shorter, all liquid phase, but as I had already found a protein drink I liked, it also went by quickly.

As for family meals, I really have to focus on dinner only. My husband is on his own for breakfast and lunch choices. I tell my husband what I'll be eating, and give him some choices that go well with mine. For example, if I decide to eat tuna, he may go with a big salad with all the fixings and a scoop or tuna. If I choose scrambled eggs, he may want the toast and bacon as well, or a scrambled egg sandwich. With FF refried beans, he may want some tortillas and ground beef and cheese.

Please ask all the questions you can, and try to express your fears, as I bet there is someone on this forum who has dealt with exactly the same concerns.

Age: 54  HT: 5'9"  Starting wt: 304  Surgery wt: 282 Current wt: 203 Goal wt: 150 
2 Wk Preop: -22 Mo 1: -17 Mo 2: -11 Mo 3: -11 Mo 4: -12
Mo 5: -7 Mo 6: -5 Mo 7: -7
Mo 8: -4 Mo 9: -5 Mo 10: -0 Mo 11: -0 Mo 12: in progress

sidneystuart
on 2/24/12 11:55 am
thank u
so you are 2 weeks post op??
what is the purpose of the preop phase?? how long was it?
what was ur husband's attitude towards the procedure? i may not tell mine until the deed is done...
Blue Sky
on 2/24/12 11:56 am
Very good advice. So what protein drink that you like?
A H.
on 2/24/12 12:20 pm
Revision on 02/09/12
 Good questions. I am 2 weeks post op. Was a revision from lap band. My surgery was relatively uneventful, especially for a revision. I am recovering very nicely. I was on sugar free clear liquids 4 weeks pre op and 4 weeks post op. With protein shakes pre and starting on day 8 post.  It kinda sucks, i.e. it's boring but it was more torturous pre-op. Now that the "hungry-generating" part of my stomach is gone I don't really care much about food. I'm  not physically hungry at all. And with 3 protein shakes a day and some almond milk I'm between 500 and 600 calories a day. I'm also taking vitamins, 4 multi, 1800+ calcium, 4000IU D, Iron. I'm not malnourished, I only feel light headed once in a while. It's not that bad honestly. I drink 80-100 oz of fluids and have no trouble getting that in.

Yes I was tired a lot the first week post op but that's totally normal. I have been feeling "normal" with minor ab soreness since Sunday which was about 9 days post op. I've been walking, chasing my two year old daughter around and yes, picking her up even though I shouldn't be. 

My husband got chinese food for dinner tonight and I had him pick me up hot and sour soup which I strained. The liquid phases are only temporary and I'm really looking forward to "real" food but I think just telling myself it's temporary is helpful. And knowing my sleeve has to heal before I start putting food in there. He eats what I cook so it's not much of an issue, he's fine with protein and veggies, salads, soups, etc. Right now he's kind of on his own but I do a little cooking here and there.

Lost a net of 13+ lb since surgery (almost 30 if you add the water weight from the hospital). I started at 235.5. 223 today. Very happy with the sleeve so far, not being hungry is the most awesome feeling ever. I feel like I've been waiting my whole life for it, it's a relief.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

twelvegates
on 2/24/12 12:23 pm, edited 2/24/12 12:26 am
VSG on 02/13/12
The purpose of the preop phase is two-fold, according to my doc. 1) To deprive your liver of fat so that the liver shrinks and is easier to "hoist" out of the way to work on your stomach; and 2) to get you used to reduced portions and higher protein before you are slammed with the surgery and the recovery and a brand new way of eating. It sort of eases the transition.

I've read lots and lots of different preop diets on here. Some people do liquids only, others follow their diets for longer or much shorter periods, etc. But we all seem to survive.

I'm lucky that I have a very supportive husband who has been with me through all of my thick and thin stages, and accompanied me to the first visit with the surgeon. (I had already been approved by my insurance by that time.) I discussed all of the various surgeries that were available and asked for his input, as I really value it. At first, he was leaning towards the band, but when I told him of the apparent failure rate and the fact that I'd rather undergo this procedure ONCE, he agreed that the VSG seemed the best for me. I know there are many who have been very successful with the DS, but I don't like the malabsorption issue, should I ever need medications that can only be given orally.

As for protein shakes, there is a $13 for 13 different Syntrax Nectars offer on the Syntrax wesbite, whi*****ludes 4 Syntrax Sweets. I went with that, and thought I'd prefer the fruit ones, but actually preferred the Vanilla Bean Torte, made with skim or almond milk and, sometimes, for variety, a small bit of SF Torani caramel syrup. I tend to get less bored with Vanilla, or maybe because it IS somewhat more boring than chocolate, I can continue to down it without issue. But the Chocolate Truffle was my 2nd choice. I prefer unflavored Syntrax protein with Mio or Crystal Light for my "fruit" drinks. (I get the Syntrax through drugstore.com at a good price.)
sidneystuart
on 2/24/12 12:39 pm
my first thought was...if i could do 4 weeks of liquid diet (with this old stomach) maybe i wouldnt need the surgery. i cant get through one day without binge, how on earth would i manage?!?!?!?
MelissaMommyto5
on 2/24/12 1:18 pm
VSG on 02/16/12
I had the same fears going into my pre-op diet, thinking it would be pure torture to make it through 2 wks of liquids.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the protein shakes COMPLETELY managed my hunger.  I still had head hunger, smelling the foods my family was eating & wanting to eat them too, but it was not physical hunger. 

And as for your original comment about potentially not telling your husband until the deed was done.  I'd highly recommend that you be honest with him about your desires & decisions from the very beginning.  The procedure requires a supportive environment for good success & on the flip side, there is a higher divorce rate among WLS patients...so don't fuel the fire! 

Best wishes! ~Melissa

sidneystuart
on 2/24/12 1:36 pm

thank u....head hunger is a very interesting concept....did u read it somewhere??

interesting re divorce rate, he didnt support me in necessary 'legitimate' surgery so not sure about this.... we lived quite separate lives already i am realizing:( perhaps fueled by my eating disorder.

MelissaMommyto5
on 2/25/12 5:47 am, edited 2/25/12 7:48 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I've read about "head hunger" in multiple places.  One place, a book I highly recommend, called Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery by Cynthia Alexander.  The book explains a lot of strategies to prepare yourself for the struggles of WLS & many of the inaccurate things "we think" going into surgery....like "the surgery will force me to eat right."  It doesn't force us to do anything, we have to be committed to the changes needed like eating healthy & exercising. I'm fairly certain it talks about the relationship struggles & higher divorce rates in that same book too.  I also read Weightloss Surgery for Dummies...I would NOT recommend wasting $ on it...it was like $30 on amazon & it's already outdate...from 2005ish, but the sleeve was barely even referenced in it.  I've also bought Mindless Eating, but I haven't finished it yet to know how I would rate it as a reference book.

I'm sorry to hear about your marital struggles but I would definately say, this won't fix them...it will only put more strain on your relationship.  Now, 3-5 yrs out, you may be in a healthier place both physically & emotionally & it could definately benefit your marriage in the long run (assuming it survived the first few years), but up front I'd seek professional counseling on how to handle your own emotions & actions, how to address it with your husband, & then probably couples' counseling as you enter the journey (hopefully hand in hand).  If you are thinking your marriage is already too far gone, then you could deal with that with some professional guidance too.  I wish you all the best on your decisions, I'd just reiterate the words of caution because I'd hate for you to go into this to get better, then find yourself in the middle of a divorce & the emotional onslaught make it difficult or impossible for you to give your sleeve the chance to help you get the weight off.   ~good luck, melissa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views