Do You Drink Carbonated Beverages?

getmylifeback12
on 3/14/12 7:59 pm - NY
I think in moderation....later down the line. But if moderation were part of our vocabulary, then we probably would not have been here to begin with.
Hopeful1inMX
on 11/15/13 6:49 am

I don't care about soda
i just want a glass of champagne at times !

USAF Wife
on 3/14/12 9:05 pm
I always say, "follow your doctor's directions".

With that said, my surgeon allows carbonated beverages because there's zero scientific evidence that it will cause any stretch or damage to the sleeve. I've personally drank soda for about 2 years post-op with zero change in my sleeve capacity. Not that it's the "best choice" due to the other factors of carbonated beverages, and I can take them or leave them. I typically drink orange soda or gingerale. In my current pregnancy, for whatever weird reason, I'm having nausea after I eat and it lasts for hours. Gingerale has quelled the nausea. A soda a day isn't going to make me fat. That 12 pack of soda I drank before helped get me fat. Moderation does work very well for me in maintenance. I didn't drink soda until I was below goal and around 8-9 months post-op.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

kimberleyann
on 3/14/12 9:42 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
I am 5 months out and tried to drink a diet gingerale, not good at all. Serious case of the foamies. 2 sips was all it took to make me look like I was rabid, spitting out foamy slime.  I think I will stick to uncarbonated.

gamom135
on 3/14/12 11:17 pm - Middle GA, GA
My doctor discourages them, but he says it's more about lifestyle than any damage it could do to your sleeve.  I have had a diet Coke one or two times at the movies since my surgery.  I had to let the carbonation die down some before I drank it, but it went down fine.  It's not feasible for me to go the rest of my life without every having diet Coke again.  For me, it's a nice to have a "once in a while" treat.
momsy55
on 3/14/12 11:31 pm - ME
I haven't had any carbonated drinks since before surgery.  I am lucky though, as I wasn't a big soda drinker before, so it was easy to give up the occasional diet soda or glass of champagne.  Soda, especially the ones with sodium, give me terrible gas, and lord knows I am already quite prolific in that area, and don't need additional sources, if you get my drift!!  LOL

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Dee08
on 3/15/12 12:17 am, edited 3/15/12 1:24 am
VSG on 09/01/08 with
I waited a year before I had any carbonation to make sure my new tummy was completely healed.  Since I do have a fully functioning stomach and not a "pouch" I have had no problems.  My restriction is the same as it was a year out.  Do I drink a soda every day...NO, but I do have one when I want one.  This is a personal choice that each person has to make for themselves but I do dislike to see scientific articles that refer to "pouches" being applied to the VSG.  Again...we have a fully functioning stomach, not a pouch.  Discuss with your surgeon and follow his lead.

Blessing.....Dee
PluggingAlong
on 3/15/12 12:59 am
 I am 18 months out and I love seltzer and have my own machine for making it at home. I waited a year and still don't drink with meals but I do enjoy a glass of seltzer with a splash of lime every now and again - especially if I'm craving something to just shove in my mouth. I sip slowly so I don't feel gassy or bloated and let the carbonation swirl around my mouth! Seltzer is jus****er so no worries about any of the other issues in the article except for the carbonation itself which I don't believe is an issue for a VSG patient unless you gulp it or drink with food. 

Consult Weight-323 / SW- 312 / CW-173/ GW-155
Starting BMI: 65.2 Current BMI: 34.9

theshrinkingmimi
on 3/15/12 4:39 am
I had some orange soda at about 7 or 8 months out. I'm not addicted to caffeine so avoiding carbonated drinks is easy for me. About 1-2X per year I want an orange soda, then I'm good for about another 6 months. I had it- about 8 ounces that I drank slowly. I burped alot, but I do that with water now. That's it.

I don't think it is a lifetime. I do think that if you had a major addiction to it, then avoid as much as possible. I wasn't hooked on any carbonated drink. I just occasionally want something- coke, strawberry or orange soda, sprite- then I'm good for several weeks or months.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/12 4:49 am, edited 3/15/12 4:49 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Carbonation does not bother my stomach.  Honestly though, when I have it it tends to be special occasion stuff (I do not drink alcohol often, but when I do might have beer or champagne, and even  will drink diet coke on vacation). 

I had a SERIOUS diet coke issue before surgery.  Now I do not drink it in my every day life and I do not want that ***** of a monkey to ever show its face again.

So yea, I do drink carbonated things on occasion, not often, but I do not not drink it because its carbonated.

My restriction is what it has been since, oh, I guess a year out, and I am nearly 3.

There are some things that we just need to be the boss of our own minds about.  Take in all the information and make an educated decision, or just plain ol decide if you are going to take the gamble. 

It may hurt your belly, or it may not.  *shrug*
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views