Gerd after VSG?

Wirick27
on 3/18/12 3:59 pm, edited 3/18/12 4:00 pm
 So Im planning to fight my insurance to get them to cover VSG rather than RNY. My main worry with the VSG is the acid reflux/heartburn/Gerd . Is this something that all VSG patients deal with, if so is it forever or just temporary after surgery. I never had problems with it myself until I gained weight but I can't wait to be rid of it.....I don't know if I can handle life with it....
(deactivated member)
on 3/18/12 4:26 pm
I've had reflux on and off for years, but it can be easily controlled with a proper diet. Since getting my VSG I have not had reflux any more than normal pre WLS reflux episodes. I had one bout at 11 days out triggered by a Muscle Milk RTD, and the other episode about 6 weeks out - again introducing a new food (can't remember what it was now). Other than that, I've been just fine.

My experience is that reflux, heartburn, GERD doesn't get any worse after surgery. I know that for some GERD does become a big problem, but not for everyone.
Kevin H.
on 3/18/12 4:36 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I got acid / heartburn very badly at 2 weeks post op after eating some chili.  Drove me nuts!  I got some Prilosec over the counter which helped a tiny bit but not much.  At my 4 week post op appt the surgeon gave me prescription strength Nexium and it worked wonders!  Now I dont have too many problems but when I do I take some mylanta or malox.  

Good luck.

tracy L.
on 3/18/12 4:50 pm - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
Hi! I am also hoping to have vsg. I have spoken to my surgeon at length about GERD. First, he does an EGD to see if and how much tissue damage you have in esophagus and or stomach. If you show any signs of Barretts espophagus, he will do rny as to not aggravate the tissues anymore. As far as post-vsg GERD, he said it is usually gone within a year, puts you on a ppi for 3 months post op. An important thing he had to remind me is, GERD is often relieved by weight loss Hope this helps!! Good luck with insurance battle!!!!!

Pkrplyr777
on 3/18/12 7:53 pm - CT
I never had acid reflux before surgery but now I suffer from it. I keep it under control with Prilosec but if I forget to take it, I regret it.
I'm considering getting a prescription strength from my doctor to see if it helps any better,

I had an endoscopy and everything is fine, I just want to keep it that way.

My husband who had the surgery the same day as me doesn''t have it at all.
I think it's different for everyone.

donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
rhearob
on 3/18/12 11:37 pm - TN
 I never had any problems With GERD/AR/Heartburn before surgery.  I have never really had any issues with it after, except when I go to the dentist for long visits.  I think its something to do with being on my back in an inverted position for hour rather than the VSG itself.

Personally for me, I went with the VSG thinking I would have the back-up plan of revising to the DS IF I couldn't reach my goal with just the VSG.  I won't need it _ I am doing excelently with the sleeve and will probably reach my goal weight sometime this year if things keep going as they are.  You might consider switching your operation to a DS - The VSG is often done as the first step of a DS operation.  Many people find that they dont need to complete the DS after the sleeve, which is how it came to be a standal-one procedure...

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views