but I don't WANT to wait a year!

Nikkal
on 3/20/12 8:59 am
VSG on 07/18/13
 Stopped in at the WL surgeon's office today to make sure they got my referral from my GP, found out the wait list for the initial consult is a YEAR..*sigh*

I don't want to wait a year! (well, more than a year, that's just for the first consult). None of the other doctors in BC are any better, from what I understand...

Can't afford to go self pay to Mexico, and I'd rather stay close to home anyway.  At least waiting a year does give me more time to save up for plastics if needed afterward...

Lucky for me the people on the British Columbia board have been very generous with their knowledge of the processes & procedures needed before surgery, so I can get some of those things started - plus the less I weigh at surgery time, the lower the risk.

oh well, gives me lots of time to cement new habits, right?

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/12 9:24 am - Mexico
On March 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM Pacific Time, Nikkal wrote:
 Stopped in at the WL surgeon's office today to make sure they got my referral from my GP, found out the wait list for the initial consult is a YEAR..*sigh*

I don't want to wait a year! (well, more than a year, that's just for the first consult). None of the other doctors in BC are any better, from what I understand...

Can't afford to go self pay to Mexico, and I'd rather stay close to home anyway.  At least waiting a year does give me more time to save up for plastics if needed afterward...

Lucky for me the people on the British Columbia board have been very generous with their knowledge of the processes & procedures needed before surgery, so I can get some of those things started - plus the less I weigh at surgery time, the lower the risk.

oh well, gives me lots of time to cement new habits, right?

HA!  I am farrrr too impulsive to wait a year for a consult.  My ins covered my original surgery and it would have taken 7-8 months for the actual surgery due to ins rules so within a week I was in MX with self pay.

Being impulsive isn't all bad! ;o)  I was at goal by going self pay vs. waiting for ins.  But, you have to do what you have to do.  Take this time and learn everything you possibly can about surgery, options, the works.
bunnymom
on 3/20/12 9:25 am
Can you do self-pay up in Canada? If you cannot, hang in there, stay positive, start exercising and save, save, save for your plastics! (You say you will save for plastics--so does that mean you can do self-pay plastics in Canada but not self-pay bariatric surgery??) Good luck!
Bunnymom            
Nikkal
on 3/20/12 9:52 am
VSG on 07/18/13
 Plastics (cosmetic) have always been self pay here, but anything that is covered by MSP (medical services plan - the provincial health authority) must be done through MSP, and that means waiting and no self-pay for bariatrics or any other medically necessary surgery.  I'm in favour of that - it stops people from making the lineups even worse by taking up the surgeons time!

even if I had the cash I'm not sure I'd go to Mexico...if there were complications I'd rather be here at home!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views