14 Month Update

elktonjohn
on 3/24/12 8:22 pm - Wilmington, DE
It's been a while since I posted here so I thought I would write an update. I know that this site was extremely helpful to me in deciding what surgery to have and in providing advice and encouaragrement! So .... I am paying it forward.  I went to my surgeon's office in October 2010 after  yers worth of 'research' (and convincing my wife that surgery was not a foolish, dangerous risk). I had been diagnosed with Coronary Artery disease and my Cardilogist told me that he would bet the farm that I would have a heart attack within the next five years (both of my parents, who were not obese, had HA at 42 and both died at age 55 from a HA). He said I had to do something drastic and he suggested gastric bypass (but he didn't know much about VSG). After doing research and meeting with my surgeon, I elected to go with VSG. I decided that I had to change my life or risk losing it early. But I knew (as I am sure all f you reading this also knows) that I could not lose weight and keep it off w/o surgery. But I alo knew that I had to make permanant changes as well in other areas. So  I committed to walking every day and doing weight training five days a week. Now the rest of the story. I lost 11 pounds pre-surger ( HW 289, SW 278) and had VSG on 1/20/11. I decided that I would get up early every morning - note the time of this post - have hot cereal, take a walk and then go to the gym (Planet Fitness is great), shower, dress for work and then go to Starbucks for coffee and to read the paper (I am adicted to SB) as an incentive to excersize. I have now done that w/o interruption, except for vacation, in rain, snow etc. I am now down to 173lbs, about 7lbs below goal. I love to walk every day (5.5 miles) although the resistance training is still a chore. All of my risk factors have been eliminated except family history. NO more sleep apnea, hypertension, high cholesterol and my diabetes is in remission w/o the need for any drugs (A1c 5.5, fasting glucose 93). Of course I am verrrry happpy with the VSG. Lastly, I will give some words of advice. Follow the program religiously for at least the first six months. This is the time that your stomach is healing. If you consistently overeat than your stomach will stretch and the scar tissue will keep it distended. If you do it right than the scar tissue will form keeping your stomach permanently in the intened size and this can be your success story.

John
1london
on 3/24/12 8:53 pm

Congratulations John!  Well done!  I am so happy for you and your family that you have drastically improved your health....that is a wonderful thing!
I wish you all the best!

jaded123
on 3/24/12 10:37 pm - MD
 John, thanks for the success story!  You've worked hard, and it paid off.  Congrats!

HW: 310 /  Lost 15 on pre-op diet  /  SW: 295  /  CW: --- /  GW: 170-175

Sara M.
on 3/24/12 11:05 pm - CA
VSG on 03/06/12
Congrats and thanks for those tips!

Consult: 270   Surgery: 256   1 Month: 237    2 Mos: 223   3 Mos: 208    4 Mos: 198
5 Mos: 188    6 Mos:178     7 Mos: 169
theshrinkingmimi
on 3/24/12 11:47 pm
Congratulations on saving your life!  It is so important that you know your family history. Keep up the healthy living.

Thanks for sharing.  Awesome job!
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
momsy55
on 3/25/12 12:11 am - ME
Wow!!!  Thanks for sharing your story John and congratulations!!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views