HELP! I have gas pain and discomfort when I eat or drink anything!

Jack_Fabulous
on 3/25/12 10:57 am - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
I am 6 weeks out and I have been having discomfort when I eat or drink anything.  I want to say its gas but I’m not sure.  It feels like the gas in my stomach has to move to make room for the food or water and that cause me pain and discomfort.  I also find that my stomach makes a lot of noises now.  I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  Do you have any advice as to what to do about it?  For the long term folks out there, does it ever go away?  

ELevyNJ
on 3/25/12 11:15 am - NJ
Tomorrow is the 1 week anniveriary of having my  sleeve done and I'm having the same issues with drinking. When I drink it gives me minor discofort as gas moves.
joeswife
on 3/25/12 11:27 am - CA
I am by no means a vet, I am nearing 6 months out. But I did have my tummy rumble a lot early out. If you are unsure, call your doctor, he can give you the best advice. I know some people get a acid reliever but my doctor didn't want me to take it. I just continued on plan and each day got better. Check with your doctor is always best, but get in your fluids and protein! Good luck hun.

sleevegirl
on 3/25/12 11:31 am - Austin, TX
Some of that is normal. I wouldn't worry about it, but two things come to mind:

1. Are you following the no drinking 30 minutes before and 30-60 minutes after?

2. Are you eating too much? Are you measuring out a portion and eating slowly?

Both of those issues cause my sleeve to sing even now

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

mrshorror
on 3/25/12 10:23 pm
 I'm about 4 months out and had similar problems. The best thing I did was just eat much much slower and take really small bites. I would take half of a baby spoonful and wait a few minutes before taking another bite. It would take me an hour or more to eat half a cup, but it was worth not aging gas pain. I would also walk around for 10-20 minutes after eating to help work the gas out. 

I still experience this when eating dense softer foods like yogurt and oatmeal. I just have to slow down and I'm fine. Good luck! It'll get better. 

LaughingCow
on 3/25/12 11:24 pm - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Hi Jack,
I'm sorry you're still dealing with this. I reached a point where suddenly I could burp. It was glorious and it was a turning point for me. Maybe that will happen for you. It was at about 6 weeks, I think.
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Allie A.
on 3/26/12 2:10 am - Canada
My suggestion is to sit up straight, and wiggle out the gas. Shimmy your shoulders back and forth and the gas will start to move. Walking also helps. If its really bad, put your hands behind your head, an have someone pat your back.
Linda R.
on 3/26/12 1:21 pm - Prince George, Canada
VSG on 02/20/12
yes walking helps i also found rubging patting my chest helped.

as to the tummy noises,  I found that with meat I had more noises, but smaller and slower bites helped lots.

Linda

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views