trouble drinking???

Dallaswyatt
on 3/26/12 8:01 am - CA
I am 3 days post op and still have a lot of pressure when i drink....i am barely able to get in about 20 0z day of crystal light, popsicles , sips of protein shakes, and a bite or two of jello....is this normal? I feel ok right after i take my pain med but when it wears off i am miserable again.....and the liquid pain med is horrific...i have anxiety when i have to take my nextdose....any suggestions
camsmom7
on 3/26/12 8:27 am - IN
Try to relax and sip sip sip. I'm 4 days out and off pain meds glad b/c they were terrible! It gets better everyday, today was the best day for me so far but I have had a ton of rest. Good luck

acochr2
on 3/26/12 8:38 am
 the pressure is completely normal. try smaller sips if possible. i'm sure your sips are already pretty small. each day you should be able to get in a little more than the day before. watch for dehydration symptoms (i had to get iv fluids on day 3 because i kept throwing up). as for the pain medicine being horrific i completely agree. luckily i never needed to take it after leaving the hospital. at one point i tried mixing it with powerade zero to make it bearable...don't do that it makes it much worse.
Brenda777
on 3/26/12 8:44 am
VSG on 03/19/12
Well, I am still having trouble drinking, and I am 7 days out.  I have not been able to drink what I am supposed to drink.  

I know it will get better.  Hang in there.

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

Debra P.
on 3/26/12 9:09 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Me too, but it's getting easier everyday. I am 11 days out.

lipstick22
on 3/26/12 9:28 am
VSG on 03/20/12
 Hey Everyone!

I am 6 days out and the drinking thing does get easier and easier!  I can drink about 8 oz per hour now.  I know you have probably heard this, but try different temps.  I couldnt drink cold water 2-3 days out and today..viola, cold water it was!  

My doc also said gatoraide is fine to keep from getting dehydrated.  The electrolytes will keep feeling better!  

WE CAN DO THIS!

LisaR1975
on 3/26/12 9:48 am - MI
VSG on 03/13/12

I couldn't tolerate plain water very well.  I started drinking powerade zero and anything else that was ok and had flavor.  I've gradually been able to increase drinking but it took a few days.  Once I got up to 30cc (1oz) per sip then I was allowed to sip out of a container.  It seemed alot easier to drink from my own cup instead of the little medicine cups they give you when you leave the hospital.  And I am 2 weeks out tomorrow and off pain meds but I went home with the pill form.  My doc said that physically your new sleeve can handle the pill so I didn't use the liquid form of the med.  Yuck.  It was hard at first to swallow a pill with the small amount of liquid but it's also easier now.  I still get the gurgles and burps though.  Every time I drink anything.  Annoying but not painful.

iluvco
on 3/26/12 11:05 am
VSG on 03/19/12
Like many others, I too am having trouble getting in all my liquids. One thing I found that really helps me is too put my bottle of Crystal Lite in the freezer until it gets slushy. You can't drink this quickly and it's refreshing too. For some reason I'm able to take in more than at room temp. SF popsicles are great too. I'm one week out and it's getting easier every day.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views