VSG vs Gastric Bypass

Jewelsstevens
on 3/27/12 2:20 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
I am in the process of being approved by my insurance company for my surgery. I went into my consultation thinking I wanted the sleeve. But, the surgeon recommended that I have the Gastric Bypass. He is not forcing it on me, it is just his opinion.

Did anyone else here ever consider having the bypass? Do you mind telling me what made you choose the VSG over the Gastric Bypass?

~Unsure now...
USAF Wife
on 3/27/12 2:26 am
Heres a link with my standard reply:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4497254/Why-VSG-and-on-Roux-en-Y/
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Jewelsstevens
on 3/27/12 2:59 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
I will check the link out. Thanks!
grisaille
on 3/27/12 3:08 am - NC
Well, I am a USAF daughter and proud of it - dad was pilot for 26 years.

MEdicaitons were my primary reason also for the sleeve and if I had read your reasons before surgery I would  have been extra convinced  

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
gmb87
on 3/27/12 2:34 am - East Aurora, NY
VSG on 01/10/12
With the sleeve you stay normal inside, albiet a smaller stomach, but plumbed like everyone else. The gastric bypass has 2 intestional reroute hook ups, you leave the un attached portion of the stomach inside you and you keep all the grehnelins (hunger hormones). The sleeve is restrictive, but not mal absorptive. You eat less, you loose weight, but you maintain your pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach and food passes and is absorbed the regular way. The sleeve can be converted to a full by pass if necessary later on where as the gastric by pass is a done deal.They both are permanent and no reversal is possible. Weight loss is good with both, the sleeve hasnt been around as long, but results are very favorable for as much weight loss and long term keeping it off. My wife had a bypass 4 years ago and she has maintained alright. I had a sleeve 4 months ago and am doing well so far with aways to go. Using either one of them as per plan will work, but it is up to you to maintain the long term, the weight can come back if you don't stay vigilent.  I like absorbing all my vitamins etc and having the same digestive process I have grown up with just lots less food.

Do some home work and make the choice dont let the dr push you one way or the other. It is your body and you are the one living with the final outcome. Good luck.
Remember  it's bariactric surgery, not brain surgery! You need to get your head in the game!!!!                      
Jewelsstevens
on 3/27/12 2:58 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
Thank you!
tabrielle10
on 3/27/12 2:55 am
I agree with the gentleman with the previous comment, however, this is just my opinion.  A gastric bypass surgery is much more expensive than the sleeve surgery.  So of course, why not choose the one that pays the most.  Just saying....

grisaille
on 3/27/12 2:58 am - NC
My surgeon does all the surgeries and recommended the sleeve for me initially because of the level of medications I take for pysch reasons and those are much easier to maintain with the sleeve (because of the pyloric valve being in place - with the RNY food/meds are exiting the stomach as they are coming in so transit time is extremely variable) And I was told I could probably take NSAIDs after my first year unlike the RNY - I do have pretty bad arthritis (although I am hoping the weight loss will help my weight bearing joints)

But since MEdicare does not pay for the sleeve, my doc and I actually choose the DS (Duodenal Switch) which does have a malapsorbtive component. But to make a long story short, I went under the gas expecting to wake up with a DS and woke up with a VSG due to internal complications. But I am one month out and am doing very well so I guess I will keep doing what will keep me healthy (and just have to wait to hear from my insurance)

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
tabrielle10
on 3/27/12 3:08 am
Oh..ok..but I thought you said that, the surgeon recommended that you have the Gastric Bypass.  Whatever you decide..good luck to you.  I hope everything works out for you, which ever surgery you decide to go with. 

Jewelsstevens
on 3/27/12 11:24 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
Thanks everyone for all of the great responses!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views