Alert! Medicare is NOT covering sleeve for most.

CJPcat
on 3/31/12 1:23 pm - MI
The ruling that just came down on March 29 says that they will cover participants in controlled clinical trials when those trials meet strict and specific Medicare guidelines. These trials are expected to last two years. The findings from these trials will determine if they will approve sleeves like they do RNY now.
I am calling every clinic, hospital,etc. I can think of to get into a trial.
Tenacious88
on 3/31/12 2:46 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: I don't know if you have read this info from Medicare that just came out.

The agency plans to issue a proposed decision on coverage of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy by March 30, 2012, and to make a final decision by June 30.

If you come up with any other info, please let us know.

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

CJPcat
on 3/31/12 2:58 pm - MI
On the Medicare website they have the details of the ruling that came out a day earlier than the original announcement stated. It gives a very lengthy and detailed description of the clinical trial protocol and the explanation for why they want to review outcomes before making this surgery part of their covered surgeries.
CJPcat
on 3/31/12 3:09 pm - MI
http://cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/nca-proposed-decision-memo.aspx?NCAId=258&ver=3&NcaName=Bariatric+

This is the URL to get to the decision information....
patti327
on 4/1/12 2:29 pm - Glendora, NJ
patti327
on 4/1/12 2:31 pm - Glendora, NJ
I am so with you on this! I am calling my surgeon's office tomorrow to see if he can steer me in the right direction to find out about any trials in my area. Good luck on your search!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views