VSG v. RNY ... My decision to get the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, when I wanted RNY to...

TopFlight
on 4/5/12 7:50 am - SC
For many years now I have been over weight. The last time I was actually "in shape" I was a sophmore in high school. I consider myself to be a volume eater as well as a sweet tooth snacker. I have been exposed to weight loss surgery as around the time I was a sophmore my mom had RNY done. After my mom and over the next few years my three cousins also had RNY done.

All my cousins lost a considerable amount of weight but only two of the three have kept off the majority of the weight. The other cousin had put back alot, but that was due to his own eating and drinking habits. My mom has lost the weight and kept it off and looks fantastic. I have a hard time remembering what she looked like when she was at her heaviest.

I don't know of any complications that my cousins have had, other than dumping, but my mom does have an iron deficiency.

I read post after post that people are concerned about dumping. I think this is a perfect tool to help you eat better. If you eat a food that you probably shouldnt and it causes you discomfort then mission accomplished, because that is probably a contributing factor to your weight gain to begin with (I know it is for me). I view dumping just like I view the surgery as a tool. It is your bodys natural sign that you are messing up and you shouldn't be eating those foods.

Just like dumping, I read post after post about the re-route of your intestines. I have mixed emotions about this. Personally, I think the malabsorbtion is a great way to help drop weight and as most read, it seems to taper off as time goes on. Where the concern comes in for me, just like most people, is the complications that can (not will****ur with this surgery. Intestions twisting at the reattachment site. Complications from the stomach being intact but unused and also the malabsorbtion of medications/vitamins/nutrients.

The medication malabsorbtion issue could be an issue depending on what medications you have to or need to take. For me my medications that I take are related to my weight and hopefully I will not need them after a while. 

Now after all of that, I initially wanted RNY over VSG because of the percentage of excess weight lost and fear of getting diabetes (which is usually gone almost immediately with RNY). I was not concerned with dumping as I viewed it as a tool to keep my sweet tooth and snacking in check. I wasn't concerned about he re-routing of my intestines until I learned about the possibilty of them twisting for no apparent reason and causing pain and blockages. I was not concerned about the pyloric valve but I was about the blind stomach and there was still a possiblity of complications with having it, ulcers, cancer, etc, all the normal things that can happen with anyone, not just WLS patients.

My mom suggested the RNY, my family doctor suggested the RNY and I too was pretty confident that I wanted RNY up until the point I talked to my surgeon. I listened to his lecture about all three available surgeries (VSG, RNY, and lap band****pt and open mind and I weighed the pros and cons of each before choosing.

I then decided right then that I wanted VSG. I know of three friends that had VSG and they are happy with thier results and stated they have not thought twice about doing it. One friend has dropped more than 150lbs over the past year, another has dropped over 100 as well. I am hoping to lose about 100lbs with this surgery and I don't think that the difference in excess weight loss would be that significant with the RNY vs VSG. Like I stated above, I was not conceren about the dumping, re-routing, or pyloric valve, but what swayed me was my own vision of what I wanted to accomplish and what the advantages the VSG had over the RNY.

VSG has the removal of the hormone Ghrelin. This removal, I viewed as being the tool to help me stop snacking and over eating. The idea that the likelihood of my intestines twisting would be next to none, helped in my decision. And lastly I did not want to have the iron issues that my mother experienced as well.

I only view this surgery as a tool and I think that all people should too. There is no cure all, there is no miracle surgery that will make you into a supermodel. If you aren't natuarally thin and physically fit then everything takes work and dedication. If you fail to change your current lifestyle to better assist the tool, then you went through everything for nothing.

happyteacher
on 4/5/12 9:48 am
 Very thoughtful post :)  It seems like you are well versed overall.  The only thing I didn't see in your post is the benefit of keeping the pyloric valve intact.  It keeps the food from your stomach from emptying right away- thus, feeling full and satieted longer.  Frisco has a great post about the pyloric valve that you may want to review.  I wish you the best of luck with whichever procedure you elect to have done!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

BariBariHappy
on 4/6/12 12:16 am - MI
Sounds like you are going to do great with your decision. I love my Sleeve...but just so you know...you can get "iron deficient" even with the Sleeve.You will still need to take your vitamins but that's super easy. The Sleeve is perfect for anyone who has trouble with "portion control"...which I did. I love the way I eat now rather than gorging myself like before. All the best to you! S
   HW: 291 • SW: 260 • CW: 196 • GW: 145            

TopFlight
on 4/7/12 12:09 pm - SC
Thanks Bari and Happy!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views