OTC pain relievers- which are ok to use?

Flo75
on 4/9/12 12:37 pm
VSG on 02/29/12
I take advil and tylenol. Is that ok?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
INgirl
on 4/9/12 12:52 pm
Every Dr has different protocols.. but that said, there are in actuality no real med restrictions at all with the sleeve.. so any meds that were ok for you pre-op should be fine. Even NSAIDs are fine from the studies I've read- unless you are using high doses or daily use (then a PPI is recommended, just the same as normies.)
Flo75
on 4/9/12 12:57 pm
VSG on 02/29/12
Thank you
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
sweetishgirl
on 4/9/12 2:34 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
Hi,
I saw your posting in regards to OTC pain meds.  I currently am researching the sleeve and RNY.  I have back pain and rheumetory arthritis runs in my family so I am concerned about having gastric bypass because I don't know what I will take if my pain doesn't go away and if I develop arthritis.
I also have GERD.  At a consultation with one of the surgeons I am considering, he said because of the GERD, he recommended the bypass over the sleeve.  My heartburn isn't that bad (I take one Prilosec a day).  What is "PPI"?  Can you take that for pain if you have the bypass surgery?  Any information you can send would be helpful!!
Thank You!
From Colorado
INgirl
on 4/10/12 12:41 am
Please do a lot more reading before you have any surgery so you really understand what limitations you need to accept if you have the bypass- with the RNY, you will limit yourself significantly in treatment of arthritis and many other conditions (one of many reasons I chose the sleeve).. No anti-inflammatory, no steroids.. time release meds are even a challenge. Narcotics, if you tolerate them are allowed. Narcotics do not do anything to relieve inflammation though..

I have GERD, I was on Prilosec generic 10mg pre-op.. still on the same dose post-op, no difference. Many, many people have GERD and get the sleeve. Many times if the cause is a hiatal hernia, it is repaired and the GERD problems are fixed. I didn't have a hernia, but my symptoms are no better or worse since surgery and completely controlled with the PPI I take- PPI is the class of drugs that Prilosec, Nexium etc are in.. not a pain med- sorry.

Most Active