Not sure what to do!

loveliveteach
on 4/9/12 11:39 am

So here is my story.

I am 5’2 currently 243lbs and am going for VSG.

I was born with my hip fused incorrectly, but I had no idea until the 37th week of my first pregnancy in 2007. I was in unbearable pain, couldn’t sit, walk, stand, lay down, etc. There was NO relief. The doctors all said it was pressure from the baby but I couldn’t handle the pain any longer. I ended up having my daughter two weeks early via an emergency c-section. The pain was better afterward, and I was able to start steroids and anti-inflammatory meds to help. And they did help a lot. I refused pain meds because I was given them after the c-section and had a bad reaction. I also personally know A LOT of people who have issues with dependency, and as a new mother it wasn’t a risk I wanted to take.

Prior to my first pregnancy I was about 175lbs, overweight, but active and healthy.  After the pain in my hip started I was on steroids on and off for 2 years, until my second pregnancy. Between being less active due to my pain and the steroids I gained a lot of weight (ended up at 215lbs). Then in 2009 I was pregnant with my second child and gained about 15lbs. After I had my second baby I started steroids (more weight gain) and anti-inflammatories again and have been on them on and off for the last three years until about a month ago.

In addition to the pain from my hip, I also have back pain. An MRI showed that I have protruding discs in my back. My doctor thinks this is due to the way that I walk because of the deformity of my hip. I also have arthritis in my knees due to my weight and walking incorrectly. I am just a mess!

Now I have gastritis and esophagitis from taking the steroids and anti-inflammatories for almost 5 years and I can no longer take them. I went two weeks without meds and hobbled into my doctor’s office in tears. I had to start pain medication. I am on a very low dose. It takes the “sharpness" of the pain away but I am still in pain every day. My fiancé travels for work and just put in his two week notice to come home and help me because I can no longer take care of our children alone. Most days I cannot walk by the end of the day.

I have been “maintaining" between 240lbs and 250lbs. I cannot seem to get lower than that. If I go to the gym I can work out, and I have BUT I am in ten times the amount of pain the next day. After trying physical therapy, the chiropractor and seeing an orthopedic surgeon we decided on VSG. It will not fix my hip, and I may still be in pain afterward but losing weight will take some of the pressure off of my hip and spine, and hopefully will provide some relief.

Now of course my insurance denied the surgery. I was originally scheduled for Feb 2012, but they wanted a 6 month diet program. Luckily I had been seeing the nutritionist for a few months because I wanted to try and lose weight on my own before I decided on the surgery. So I only have April and May to meet with her and then resubmit to insurance. They had other requirements as well but we have completed them all.

Here is my issue. I am getting married in mid-October. Already have my dress. If I have surgery now it will not be until June or July but my dress will obviously not fit. I am very OCD and this is stressing me out! Getting a wedding dress last minute is not something that can easily be done. Especially since I am on a budget AND will need it altered. (I am short & large chested).  Do I put off the surgery until after the wedding? My fiancé has been with me for over 9 years, he is not going anywhere no matter what size I am. Or do I deal with the stress of not having a dress!!  I don’t know if I can deal with the pain until after October. Wish this was easier!!!

My actual goal is to be happy & healthy....doesn't matter what number that lands on.      
HW 253  VSG 7/31/12 SW233 One day & one step at a time! 
saraw79
on 4/9/12 11:49 am - MI
VSG on 05/07/12
I would do it before your wedding.. Just let whoever is going to alter it.. That you will need it done... and let them know.. so they can plan on it...
You will be much happier being a lighter bride and having the pain go away some..

Best of luck to you and your decision...
Pre op diet 224
Surgery day 212
month 1 to 2 i lost 9.6 pounds
month 2 to 3 i lost 7 pounds
month 3 to 4 i lost 6.2

bbearsmama
on 4/9/12 12:09 pm
RNY on 02/28/13
I was thinking the same thing-have your dress altered.

Congratulations on getting married! Sounds like you've found a great man!

So sorry you're going through so much pain!

Hugs,
Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op