Last night was my first soft food, and I have a question, please.

Brenda777
on 4/11/12 11:00 am
VSG on 03/19/12
Yesterday I was cleared to try soft food after 22 days on liquids.  

We had a class that went over types of soft foods, and she gave us a list.  

On the list was fish.  I decided to bake sole, bcos I can make it very moist.  She said to try one food at a time.  She also said everyone was limited to 3 oz.  Also, this was a dietitian teaching the class, not someone who has had WLS.

I measured it out, and had 1 ounce. I took small bites, chewed and chewed.  I did not seem to have any issues with it.  But, right after the last bite, I felt so full.  I felt FULL for 6 hours after wards!  Even when I went to sleep, it felt like it was right there, kinda like in my chest.  Weird.  

What did I do wrong?  

I'm thinking I just ate too much.  Maybe 2 or 3 bites would have been better.

I did not have to throw-up, but it didn't feel real comfortable.

As a result, so far today, all I had was liquids.  

I think I should try something tonight.  Maybe a scrambled egg would be better.  

Perhaps fish was a bad choice.

Oh, and also, it felt like I could not drink anything all night.  Like I was too full.  So did the fish just sit there all those hours and not go anywhere?  Also, in a way, I feel like I sill have fish in my tummy, and it has been 23 hours.  Is that possible? 

Question -- when you first went to soft foods -- did you have only one soft food a day or try more than that?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

acochr2
on 4/11/12 11:09 am
 i get that feeling sometimes when i eat to fast or don't chew well enough. it feels lke it's stuck, but it doesn't last as long as yours has. i'm a month out and cleared for pretty much anything. the first food i ate was fish. eggs work great for me but some people have trouble stomaching them so goodluck just do it slow. i did only try one at a time. i'd pick one item like a grilled fish filet and eat on it throughout the day. 

you should try just taking 3-4 super small bites (the size of your pinky finger nail) and then put down the fork, push the plate away and wait 5 or so minutes to see how you feel. 

it does get easier to eat so keep trying! 
emelar
on 4/11/12 11:30 am - TX
My guidelines were 1 1/2 to 2 oz of food when first out.  1 1/2 was more than enough for me in the early days!  I suspect you just ate too much, and the full signal came a little late.  Measure out a smaller portion for now.
Brenda777
on 4/11/12 2:09 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 Thank you for your suggestions.

Tonight I had 1/2 an egg, ate really slowly... and that worked fine.

This seems like some trial and error.  

Thank you!

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

Stayce
on 4/12/12 12:53 am
VSG on 03/28/12
 I started sorts last night. First thing I tried was the ricotta bake that everyone talks about on this forum. It was wonderful and I was able to eat 2 ozs. This morning I had a scrambled egg and I was able to eat the whole thing. 

My nutritionist said that I should be getting in 1/4 - 1/2 cup. I use my scales and measure out 2 ozs. of something first.

Next goal is to try chicken salad!

All I can say is doesn't it feel good to have something "real" after such a long time on the liquid diet. I was on a liquid diet for 4 weeks!
 Life is not an emergency, live one day at a time.        
hrford
on 4/12/12 1:00 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Yeah I measure out 2oz at most then don't eat it all.  My sleeve is really good at telling me that was your last bite.  I've yet to finish 2oz of anything.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views