Anyone have MS and been sleeved?

shawne22
on 5/3/12 4:26 am - MD
I have multiple sclerosis (MS) and have not had an exaccerbation/flare up in almost 2 years.  I'm hoping the stress (from pain)  of the surgery will not cause me to have one. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Marabell
on 5/3/12 5:05 am
VSG on 06/07/12
I do not have MS; however, I do have fibromyalgia and stress plays a big role in that as well which, of course then triggers the inlammation in my body and flares up the arthritis too....sigh...... I am scheduled for the sleeve on 6/7. I too am hoping that the trauma of the procedure does not bring a flare up....at least not too bad of one.

I plan on just continuing my meds and to get a chiropratic adjustment and massage just before and as soon after as possible. I am also going to take adrenal support....to reduce the cortisol levels (sorta a stress hormone). Anyway, hopefully relaxation techniques and making sure to get all my fluids in will help keep it at bay.

Good luck to you. Are you scheduled yet?

shawne22
on 5/3/12 6:00 am - MD
Oh boy fibromyalgia is a doozy for sure and I hope your surgery doesn't cause any issues for you.  I am scheduled for 5/22 and plan to communicate with all those handling my after care to keep me drugged up and as pain free as possible so the MS will stay at bay:)
AdeanaMarie
on 5/3/12 5:08 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
I do not have MS, but have Crohn's Disease (also an auto-immune disease). I did well through the surgery and pain was minimal for me. Recovery has been great. However, I did stay on my IV med of Remicade (I get it every 8 weeks), and just did the surgery at my 6 week mark after treatment and then had to delay my next treatment by 2 weeks as well. I know some MS patients use Remicade too (which affects your immune system response). I hope others with MS chime in, so you get an idea. I know my post isn't helpful to you, but auto-immune diseases are a beast of their own and you certainly do not want a flare up in any way. I would ask your surgeon to find statistics for you. Mine told me of his success with other Crohn's patients and also, in many cases the Crohn's went into remission. But since Crohn's is just in the digestive track and MS can be everywhere... it is not a good comparison. Best wishes.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

shawne22
on 5/3/12 6:05 am - MD
Thanks so much for your response and glad to hear that all went well for you. I am on rebif for my MS I take it 3x/wk via injection. I plan to stay the course with that and pray that all goes well as far as my pain level goes. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but I also plan to make sure I am as pain free as possible so my body hopefully doesn't turn on me:) 
Marlalondon
on 5/3/12 5:38 am, edited 5/3/12 5:40 am - United Kingdom
Hi Shawne
I do have MS and was sleeved in early Jan. i did have a relapse but a relatvely minor one as versus a bad steroid type one. I had it after six weeks or so and am over it now. In spite of this I am very glad i had the op as I am older and was diagnosed a year ago with diabetes. I thought that was just one too many serious diseases.

Keep my details and feel free to contact me if you want to know anything else re the op and MS.

shawne22
on 5/3/12 5:55 am - MD
I will definitely keep your contact info...i'm sure I will have lots of questions. I'm also glad you didn't have a full blown flare up:)
Marlalondon
on 5/3/12 6:56 am - United Kingdom
 Do that. Ironically i didn't want to have to inject daily but am about to start copaxone which is a daily. Oh well...

Marlalondon
on 5/3/12 6:59 am - United Kingdom
 Oh and I see you are having the sleeve on the 22nd! Good luck! I have lost 63 pounds already. I am sure you'll do really well.

Foxbins
on 5/3/12 2:06 pm
I have MS and haven't had a real relapse in about 4 years; I have had some bouts with fatigue but nothing to send me scurrying to the neurologist.  I don't think my sleeve surgery affected me at all, and if pain was going to cause a relapse, my gall bladder removal should have done it because that hurt a lot.  But no relapse with that either.  I lost 95 lbs (to goal and beyond) just fine, MS and all!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views