Slight vent......advice, encourgement, gladly accepted...

howarli
on 6/4/12 3:38 am - MD

once in a while I have chicken salad on a toasted crossiant (the bottom thinner layer only of course).  I can usually eat 1/2 of eat in one sitting.  I have done the 6" sub @ subway with only the bottom half of the bread 1/2 of it @ a time but didn't really like it.

RHCP
on 6/4/12 4:05 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
I am 1 yr 3 mo from surgery.

I can eat half of a Quiznos Prime rib with cheese and onions- but I take the top off the bread and only eat the bottom half and am VERY FULL.

Last week I ate a PB and Jelly on white bread cause I was craving it for months- I took the crust off and managed to eat the whole thing- BC my head and the yummy taste took over and I was extremely full and going to burst- so I went for a long walk and felt better. A few day's later I had ONE piece of bread with the pb and J and that was more than enough. I can say though that PG and Jelly sandwhich would def only be a very once in a while treat. I also find when I crave something I let myself eat a little and my craving is satisfied and I don't want it any longer.

Once in a while they have Panera bread at work for lunch and I take half a sandwich usually eat the insides BC the bread is to filling- but sometimes I will tkae a bite or two of the bread for the taste.

I'v never been a big fan of Subway so I havent tried it.

Donna B.
on 6/4/12 4:19 am
i keep it simple.  This is what works for me.   

I eat anything i want as long as it doesn't cause me to have out of control eating.  My only other rule is to stay within 1000 calories a day.   i also focus on eating protein at regular intervals.  Other than that, since nutrition and health is an interest of mine, i focus on nutrient rich foods.

Things like crackers, cold cereal like Honey Nut Cherrios, and sugary foods, would send me off to the deep end i found out some weeks after surgery.  So i have made a choice not to eat foods containing sugar or wheat at all after trying to eat these foods since vsg.  Every time i tried to eat the sugar and grainy things it was a disaster.  It just made me want more and more food.  All it did was create struggle and cravings.

If having a sandwich doesn't cause you to have out of control eating, EAT it!  Same with cereal.

Fruit is almost a 5-letter dirty word in some camps on OH as it is not allowed or you are considered not compliant if you eat fruit in the losing phase, as if you are breaking the law.  A diet shouldn't feel like it is regulated by the Gestapo.

i eat fruit on most days and have since first weeks of surgery, starting with applesauce, and lost weight consistently.   Eat your banana and enjoy it!  If it doesn't cause cravings and it doesn't cause you to gain weight, why not?

There is no reason to be miserable with your diet plan.  You can lose weight and still eat the carbs you want if you are not out of control in your eating.   You will want to continue tracking your calories and carbs of course so you know where you stand because you care about taking care of yourself, not because you are worried about breaking a regulation.

I ate one banana since i had my vsg and the next day i lost a chunk of weight. 

Don't worry about your choices and don't feel guilty!  Enjoy your life!!

55 y.o.    5'4"      HW: 180's      CW: 127      Doctor's GW: 130           My GW:  117        

~ working on reaching goal again after regain            

dicastro1010
on 6/4/12 4:37 am - Escondido, CA
It get's better! I am able to eat sandwiches all the time. Maybe not a "whole" one, more like a half, but I can. Most of the time I opt for just meat and cheese because I feel like I am really eating. When I eat bread I typically eat so little because it fills me up so quick that it's almost pointless, but I know what you mean and sometimes it's worth it just to fulfill that craving. :) 
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

louisamay
on 6/4/12 5:09 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I have eaten very small bowls of (non-sugary) cereal twice.  SMALL bowls. But my tummy doesn't hold much!  Both times I added unflavored protein to the milk so that the meal had plenty of protein.  It worked for me.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

momsy55
on 6/4/12 5:29 am - ME
I haven't had an actual sandwich, but do have 1/2 to 1 slice whole grain toast with eggs, usually if we go to breakfast on the weekend.  Also, there is a low carb oat bran/flaxseed tortilla that my family uses when I make fajita's, that tastes pretty good., made by Joseph's - not sure if that company is national or just in the New England area.  I think there are 5 net carbs in each tortilla, after subtracting the fiber.  I eat one with my protein and veggies wrapped in it.  The only cereal I use is about 1 TBLS of All Bran Buds mixed into my greek yogurt and berries that I eat for breakfast most days.  All of this works for me.  There is a line of very low carb breads that I looked at online through Julian Bakery, but I haven't tried it.  I guess, as others have said, you have to find what works for you and to be honest with yourself about it.  Good luck!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views