Slight vent......advice, encourgement, gladly accepted...

Rmoneygirl
on 6/4/12 2:55 am - OH
First off I'll say my sleeve has worked well for me.  I had alot of rough days and months...I cryed alot, but I'm passed that know.  I know what my sleeve has done for me and I am greatful.

With that said...I miss eating cerel with banana's in the morning!!  I miss sandwiches!! There are alot of things that are fine.  and I can somewhat still eat most of my favorite things.  Chicken, Veggies, etc.  For the record I was not a "bad" eater i was an "over" eater.  and a MAJOR soda drinker!!

There are just things that I really crave and want..... ie a sandwich.  Its kills to to see a subway!!  I wanna eat fresh!!  LOL  I so badly want Ham, Cheese, lettuce and tomato sandwich.....Sandwich... Yes I'll say it..... I WANT THE BREAD ALSO !!!! 

Honestly I know I'm not that far out.  Does it still get better later?  I'm only 8 months out.  Any of you awesome vetern sleevers able to eat a sandwich.....God please tell me yes......even if you say it took 3 years just give me hope....lol

wanttobehalfofme
on 6/4/12 3:05 am - MI
I am almost 1yr 1/2 out. I go to Subway and get the 6inch flat bread sandwich toasted. I can only eat half of it at a time. Bread still bothers my stomach making it uncomfortable.
Daisy_Rose
on 6/4/12 3:06 am
 So... you had your sleeve when?  October 2011? and you're not eating cereal?  I have a 1/4 cup Multi-Grain cereal with blueberries or strawberries or bananas almost every morning... rotating with lowfat oatmeal.

I have 1/2 a tuna sandwich or 1/2 Boar's Head Turkey sandwich once in awhile.... usually on a 1/2 multi-grain wrap, my fav is still tuna salad in a lettuce wrap.

I had my VSG 12/5... I am doing really good.  FOR ME, it's all about small, smart choices.  I will not restrict completely.

Hang in there!!

Shagdoll
on 6/4/12 3:09 am
I feel for you gurl because even though I don't crave sandwiches like you, I can think of a yummy roseberry flavored gourmet cupcake I would like to enjoy right about now!
I have to give up all the yummy stuff in the losing phase so I can get to the point where I can have a nibble of this and that in maintenance. But I will be honest, I don't even want to think of my guilty pleasures right now because even when I hit maintenance, I really want to make sure I don't slip back in old habits that got me MO in the first place.
I'm sure you can enjoy a "mini" sandiwch later on once you hit goal. Remember, Subway will still be in business later and for me, so will "Frosted" gourmet cupcakes (I hope!).
I need to stop talking about these cupcakes, I think it's my 3rd post today where I mentioned it! Thank gawd my favorite flavor is seasonal!
On a lighter note, we can do this gurl. Eye on the prize!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

moonglo82
on 6/4/12 3:10 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Right now I probably couldn't eat a sub from Subway because the bread would sit funny on me. I'm only 2 months out.

Having said that, are you the kind of person who tracks what you eat? If so, could you work that sandwich into your plan and still meet your goals for the day? What about half of a sandwich?

If this is the kind of craving that is going to bother you until you get it out of your system, I say plug in the numbers and make it work. Just be careful to not open the floodgates for more carb cravings, if low carb is what your plan calls for.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

acbbrown
on 6/4/12 3:14 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I've been known to eat subway. I can eat 1/2 of a 6" flatbread. I've eaten the 6" by picking at it for a while. 

However, during the month where I ate subway 2x a week - I didn't lose any weight that month. Too many carbs, not enough protein, and made me crave more. I've decided to leave subway alone for a while until I get to goal. But I think a 3" sandwich could fit into my lifestyle/maintenance plan - just not now. It's worth avoiding for now to keep my WL going. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

seeingmyselfthere
on 6/4/12 3:16 am
VSG on 03/07/12
hi rmoneygirl - i'm no where near 8 months out so please filter everything i'm about to say with that in mind.  but i have had subway - the italian bmt, loaded with veggies - no mayo - a lot of mustard. i was craving the sandwich i love - and for me, absolute denial can be a trigger for obsurd levels of overeating/indulging.  knowing that, i ordered one - i logged the sub in myfitnesspal.com and decided i would have 3" for lunch and the other 3" for dinner.  i didn't even get the first 3" in - after the first bite of the bread my desire was satisfied and i was over it for a while.  haven't had a craving for this sandwich again - but if i do, i feel confident i can handle it.

i'm not about to go there with the whole 'moderation & balance'. what i will say, is it sounds like you're feeling deprived. and you shouldn't feel that way on a healthy eating plan - even when you're still in a losing stage.  i think we both know, that's not a license to throw your plan out the window and just give in to your every desire - but if it's a persistant desire, explore it.  most times, once i've thought about what i want, why i want it, what's really going on... i'm over it - but on the rare occasion it's still there, i calculate the cost, plan for the exception (portion size, calories, fat, protein, carbs), set my boundaries (don't buy a 12" when 6" is a much more reasonable portion size, etc.), account for my decision (myfitnesspal) and enjoy. 

you mentioned your issues with food is not quality related, but quantity.  and subway is not the worse food choice in the world.  their meats are pretty comparable to the cold cuts we buy in the store - they have a healthy amount of protein and almost no carbs - plus you can pile on the veggies as an added filler.  of course the bread is what most of us are after - but it can easily fit into your daily alottment if you plan correctly. i mean, we're not talking about eating a sub sandwich everyday (i hope - lo). just on occassion.  to me this is what life will always be about from here on out - how to live in this world with control over my eating - without the guilt that drives my compulsive behaviors. 

hope that helps.

tripmom02
on 6/4/12 3:20 am - NJ
 I will have half a sandwhich now and then, I really like a PB&J for lunch with my kids every once in a while or a grilled cheese, but I don't think I could do a half with meat, cheese and all the trimings that would probably be too much for me and make me uncomfortable. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

INgirl
on 6/4/12 3:27 am, edited 6/4/12 3:29 am
Hey! Hang in there, it's not an all or nothing for most of us as time goes on! Can I eat a sandwich? Not sure, haven't had but a bite or two of bread since surgery.. Not sure how it'd agree, but if it's anything like anything else I have had- it'd go down just fine. So I'd imagine yes.. and trust me I know the craving, I DIDN'T grow tomatoes this year as my fav summer meal was a thick tomato, bacon, mayo sandwich on toasted Pepperidge Farm white bread, a couple of them!

My big love is always going to be real bagels and cream cheese.. I prob won't bother to eat more than 1/4 of one at some point someday, but that's all that it would take to satisfy me now (where before it was at least 1 big one!) So yes, I have read of many folks enjoying a half-sandwich, or a small side of potatoes or pasta post-op.

Me- I never said goodbye forever to any foods, or food groups- just so long for now.. I have changed my focus so much nutrition-wise, that the carby & sweet stuff (incl bananas) are going to always hold second fiddle from now on to more nutritious foods, and will be relegated to occasional treats.. but I'm sure I will include them in very limited amounts in my plan when I loosen up a tad on the carb side.. I just will try to make the best decisions and go for the lowest glycemic or best quality (if I'm indulging in sweet-stuff) ones I can when I do it.. 
kanga003
on 6/4/12 3:33 am
I'm almost 11 months out... i can eat ANYTHING that I have tried... but I can gain weight JUST as easily as before surgery with any kind of carbs....

That being said, I don't worry overly much about finding myself in a situation where I have to figure something out... heck, I was very unexpectedly in the Children's Hospital with my daughter for 3 days and lived mostly on ice water and grahm crackers, peanut butter and cereal from the kitchen... I did avoid the toast... I didn't eat much, but I gained weight.  At a conference once I ate half of a 6 inch from subway... one of the big party ones all cut up... I would have taken the insides out of 2 or 3 but they hadn't ordered enough for me to do that and I was really hungry and had carpooled the 2 hour drive, so I just ate it....  Carbs are pretty much TOTAL sliders for me.... it's a double edged sword...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views