Fall sleevers?

Nadurra Deb
on 6/12/12 9:44 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Anyone planning to get a VSG in the fall? My plan is Oct-Nov...depends on how fast the process moves after I complete my 6 month pre-op requirements. Feels like I'm in limbo right now!  I'm trying to use this time to make changes a little at a time so I'm not so overwhelmed with changes post-op. How is everyone else passing the time until surgery?

I am IMPATIENT! 

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

Bufflehead
on 6/12/12 10:08 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13
I'm hoping for late November/early December. I have 3 months of MSD before then so theoretically could do it sooner (assuming approval etc.) but requirements of my job won't allow me to take that much time off before late November.
I've started to make small changes. I'm exercising more and am focusing on healthy foods and not so much junk and empty calories. Baby steps
Nadurra Deb
on 6/12/12 1:32 pm - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
I'm having the opposite problem. The best time for me to do this (work-wise) is really Sept thru early Oct....BUT I'm not done with my pre-op requirements until Oct 11. I'm really hoping for Oct so I have some time to recover before the holiday rush hits full swing. We'll see how long that process takes at that point.

We have the gift of time...time to make adjustments one step at a time...those baby steps will add up and could prove to put us in a great position by our surgery dates.

Debbie          

ordinarybeauty
on 6/12/12 10:09 am, edited 6/11/12 10:10 pm
VSG on 09/27/12
I'm scheduled for 9/27 and am using this time to:
exercise
get physical therapy for my hip so I can up my exercise,
practice chewing my food 20 times per bite (Dr.'s suggestion)
develop new lower calorie recipes ( I love to cook)
reduce my daily calorie intake
practice putting my fork down after each bite
increase my water intake
eliminate white flour
read nutirtion labels
gather information about protien options for the months post surgery
gather information about vitamin options for the months post surgery
and continue my research.

Nadurra Deb
on 6/12/12 1:14 pm - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Great list!  I'm picking a few things a month to work on adding.

I've already cut out soda and caffine and worked my excercise up to 45 minutes of walking (half uphill) 4 times a week. This month I'm adding taking vitamin and calcium suppliments regularly. I want that to be a total habit before surgery. I've started really reading labels and sampling new foods in preparation for low carb, high protein. In the next month I want to start logging my food using some kind of app on my phone. Starting in August, I will cut sugar out of my diet. I really don't want to deal with sugar withdrawal on top of all the other changes.

I wish I loved to cook. My husband does tho. He says he has plans to start losing weight on his own before my surgery so he can join me in my new diet changes. He only has about 40 lbs to lose and has much better success losing when he sets his mind to it. Not fair!

Debbie          

ordinarybeauty
on 6/12/12 2:36 pm
VSG on 09/27/12
I started logging food and exercise on My Fitness Pal at the beginning of May. I  lost my taste for coffee and pop after a freak hospitalization for blood poisoning last February so that was easy to let go of.

I have purchased Margaret Furtado's and Hungry Girl's cook books and am acclimating my husband to the food from them as I think there are useful recipes in them.

The only sugar in our diet is from fruit, although I do use artificial sweetener from time to time. We also don't drink very often so I have let that go easily.

Nadurra Deb
on 6/13/12 3:31 pm - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Well my whole life just changed today! My insurance revised their pre-op requirements to 3 months instead of 6. I better get started on My Fitness Pal, like tomorrow, because now I have a date of Aug 6!! Figures that the day I post asking about fall sleevers my whole life changes...now this feels way to fast! I'm so confused!

I did good today on cutting out the sugar...got a lot to do this month! I have not started logging food yet...yikes!

Debbie          

Ohiogirl
on 6/12/12 10:16 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I hope to have surgery in Sept - no date yet as I am self pay and I see a second surgeon on Friday for a consult - trying to pick best program for myself.  
I hate to admit that being in limbo like this - I have indulged more than I should - keep thinking I will get a more serious about changing my ways when I have a program and date in place.  
I need this surgery and financially it will cost me dearly so I need to make the most of it.
Looking forward to sharing our experiences as we get closer.
ronniesnana
on 6/12/12 12:03 pm
May I ask how much you are paying? I also am self pay and yes I am going to go broke doing it. Borrowing off my home equity. Am going to be divorced soon so only have 1 income but I figure I am worth it. Good luck
Ohiogirl
on 6/12/12 12:32 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Here in northern Ohio - the self pay price ranges from $18000 to $26000.  Good luck.  It is expensive but I think if we can manage - we are worth it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 386 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 419 views