"Little Fat Girl" Inside

Triciajoy
on 6/13/12 5:11 am, edited 6/13/12 5:20 am
I'm in week 8 of my 12 week program with Kaiser.  During the 8 weeks, I've lost 9 lbs.  I'm a little disappointed because I've lost more than that before in the same amount of time. I've found myself fighting the "little fat girl" inside on more than one occasion.  Especially when it comes to something I really enjoy like carrot cake.  That "little fat girl" says "Come on, eat it.  You are never going to be able to eat it again after surgery. Better eat it now while you can."  I will usually eat a small piece and try to make it fit into my plan but I was wondering is this normal?  Has anyone else felt this way?  And does this mean I'm doomed to fail? 

hwag5149
on 6/13/12 5:19 am
Mine's a big fat girl and I went wild during my preop program and gained a lot of weight. Mine was 24 weeks but it took me almost 2 years because I knew I wasn't ready (obviously). Once I was fully committed I never really felt devastated that I wouldn't be able to eat something again but I did have a few little freak outs. I never had a food funeral either. It's a good sign that you're losing weight.

Things change once you have surgery. Some people will say that if you aren't 100% committed now then you aren't ready for surgery. I don't necessarily agree. We each know if we are ready and we each have to suffer the consequences of battling with our own demons once we have "no" stomach. So if you're ready, you're ready. You will eventually get to eat things again. And hopefully one day that carrot cake won't even be so important to you anymore.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Barbara W.
on 6/13/12 5:36 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
I went through the Kaiser 12 week Options Program, and I swear
there is a big fat girl standing tall on my shoulder saying "Go ahead
it isn't going to hurt".  "Eat that Angus Burger, and for dessert have
a giant serving of waffle frys and a large dish of Coldstone Creamery
ice cream."  In the beginning of the Options Program I would leave
class and head to Jack-In-The-Box for two order of tacos to eat on
the way home.  I lost 25 pounds prior to surgery, even with the tacos.
I had surgery on May 23rd and feel like I am on a permanent stall.
I eat less, eat healthy, and exercise and can't seem to lose.  Sometimes
I think I would have better off eating tacos galore and forgetting the
whole thing. But, the people on this website are encouraging and
are always there to help you put things in perspective. You are not
doomed to fail.  It is a lot of work to stay focused, but the rewards
are endless. 

Could_It_Be
on 6/13/12 5:41 am
 My little ***** throws full on temper tantrums these days!

VSG on 6/22/11
AngieB2011
on 6/13/12 6:27 am - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
LOL!
Rachel G.
on 6/13/12 6:48 am
VSG on 04/06/12
On June 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM Pacific Time, Could_It_Be wrote:
 My little ***** throws full on temper tantrums these days!
 lmao MINE TOO! 

Mom4Jazz
on 6/13/12 5:43 am
This is so incredibly normal! Food funerals and one last of this, that and the other are very common.

It does get easier to say no to the little fat girl (you're lucky yours is LITTLE) after surgery, but I would encourage you to practice the skills now. You're not a failure if you struggle with it, but do try to not always "have a small piece" but instead actually say no to the little demon on your shoulder.

There is nothing you will "never be able to eat" after surgery except what you decide you can't control or moderate and that's very individual. Now during the loss period there are lots of things it might be a very bad idea to eat but during maintenance SOME of them can be reintroduced in small quantites. The thing is to learn both your body and brain as you are losing so as you go into maintenance you can recognize those foods you'd be better off staying away from.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Triciajoy
on 6/13/12 9:35 am
Thank you for the advice.  I do say "no" to her a lot...but not always.  I'm trying to train myself that nothing is off limits in moderation.  I just feel so guilty when I do it.  Just another learning process.

rhearob
on 6/13/12 7:00 am - TN
 The pre-op diet can be hard.  Thank god mine was short!  The pre-op period is when you just have to tough it out.  Making it through pre-op is pure will power.

This does not mean you are doomed to fail.  After surgery you will have a huge assist from the sleeve and the changes your body is going through.  During this "honeymoon" period is when you have to focus on working on your head issues.  Thats where you will learn to develop a healthy relationship with food.  In most cases, thats the real measure of success.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Angel1974
on 6/13/12 7:50 am
VSG on 06/04/12
 My fat girl is a *****!!! I HATE HER!!! I am in a constant battle with her.   Lately she is quiet and not saying anything but I know her.  She is just waiting for me to get better and BAM! there she wil go trying to tell me to eat everything in site.

You should see my YouTube video the Fat Girl inside of me.   I can tell you all about my *****!  LOL 

My suggestion will be telling her to go to hell.

Follow my progress on my youtube channel
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCARrPUdk_U

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views