truth

starry957
on 6/17/12 1:34 pm
ok...here I am again....can someone help me to understand, in specific and thorough terms, what happens when you "overeat" after VSG....I need to know the whole scoop....also, on a related topic (I think?)....can something happen to the "stapling" years later?  I know the staple line is tender and vulnerable, after the surgery...but does this last forever or is there a point when it is totally healed and not at risk of whatever the risks are?
thanks for your info!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

USAF Wife
on 6/17/12 1:39 pm
Overeating:

Leads to pain and discomfort
Puking (putting undue stress on your new staple line)
The whole scoop : You won't lose weight and you'll waste your time, energy and your money/insurance money on surgery you're not ready for.
You will be miserable.

Nothing will happen to the staples years later. Staples initially keep your stomach closed, scar tissue forms which ultimately seals your stomach forever.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

starry957
on 6/17/12 1:56 pm
ok good to know....I hate vomiting and I also don't care much for pain...lol
I just wondered if the stress on the staple line was something that was a forever concern.  Do you know anything about GERD?  I also read somewhere that with VSG, specifically, GERD can become a problem after the surgery, for up to 3 yrs and then level out...?  I have no problem, currently, with indigestion, etc (hence how I am able to put away way too much food at one time)...so I "hope" that this wouldn't become a big problem post-op......who knows I guess.

Kevin H.
on 6/17/12 2:15 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I never had GERD in my life until I had VSG.  It started 2 weeks post op and still going on today 4.5 months later.  

My surgeon said that only 5% of the people that get GERD after VSG will continue having problems after 1 year post op.  So, it usually resolves within 1 year.

That rate goes up much higher if you had GERD before the VSG and often times will not get better.

USAF Wife
on 6/17/12 9:56 pm
On June 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM Pacific Time, starry957 wrote:
ok good to know....I hate vomiting and I also don't care much for pain...lol
I just wondered if the stress on the staple line was something that was a forever concern.  Do you know anything about GERD?  I also read somewhere that with VSG, specifically, GERD can become a problem after the surgery, for up to 3 yrs and then level out...?  I have no problem, currently, with indigestion, etc (hence how I am able to put away way too much food at one time)...so I "hope" that this wouldn't become a big problem post-op......who knows I guess.
I never had reflux pre-op except for the occasional heartburn episode after major spicy food, and lying down too soon after eating.

As for the stats on GERD after VSG, it happens. I'm on Nexium still at 3 years out. I"m not willing to deal with reflux. I've had breakthrough reflux in both of my pregnancies thus far. Plus, silent reflux isn't a fun ordeal. I admit I stay on my PPI to keep my physical hunger at bat because many report hunger returning if/when they go off the medication. For me, popping my Nexium is a tiny price to pay for the life I live today.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 1:51 pm
Exactly what USAWife said!

I'd like to add that if you choose to over eat early out, yes you can pop your staple line and yes, from that you could die. That's why there are rules to follow.

starry957
on 6/17/12 1:57 pm
I feel like I'd be deathly afraid of over eating at least at the beginning for sure - I am fearful of vomiting and of complications....

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 2:18 pm
What you were told already is the real scoop.  You have to be very careful for the first three months and somewhat careful for about six months, after that it's all your own scarring that is holding the stomach together not the staples alone.  You can't harm yourself.  Really, the first six weeks are the main concern, every week that goes by reduces your chances of a leak significantly.

GERD is a possible side effect of this surgery, I am fine but some people do get it, on the other hand, some people that have had it for years, have it go away after surgery.  You need to make sure that your surgeon looks for hernias during the operation as they are a big reason for the GERD.  In most cases, they can be fixed during your surgery.  Good questions.
RoyBoy
on 6/17/12 8:04 pm - WI

I'm almost 7 months post-op, I still get a bad feeling in my stomach when I eat most things. Most dense meats fill me really fast and tend to feel like crap. I still eat very small portions about every two hours or so, just to maintain my current weight and I'm at goal weight. a egg and 1 piece of bacon for breakfast fills me up or it takes 2 hours to eat a sausage egg and cheese bisket. But it's better than being obese with insulin shots for sure.

Mom4Jazz
on 6/17/12 9:47 pm
You don't happen to like protein shakes, do you?

I ask because my teeny sleeve's reaction to dense protein has turned me almost completely vegetarian. I get my protein from Greek yogurt, some eggs and cheese, plus protein shakes and a Quest bar a day. I may have a taste of meat here and there when hubby makes something I really like the taste of, but not enough to really matter.

It's going great and I feel fabulous, plus I can get in the veggies and fruit I was missing. Don't think I could do it without the shakes, though.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views