Leak test

starry957
on 6/20/12 12:39 pm
Hi - can someone explain the "leak test" process (when it is done, what is done, how it is, is it horrible, is it tolerable, easy, etc????)

Again, many thanks!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Krissy_67
on 6/20/12 12:50 pm
VSG on 04/17/12
In my case it was done the next morning after surgery. I had to drink an ounce of this pink stuff. It didn't taste good but I could tolerate it and I'm an easy gagger. Still can't do protein shakes. Then I drank an ounce of some white stuff, also not good but tolerable. You stand in front of this machine while you drink it. It's over in a minute or two. No biggie at all!!

MeeMiss75
on 6/20/12 12:50 pm - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12
 The leak test is done post-op. Some doc's actually perform the leak test during surgery, as well as after. My leak test happened right after I was wheeled to my room. I was taken to a room where I had to stand behind an X-ray machine that focused on my esophagus/chest area. I was asked to drink a solution, or a part of a solution that was thick but not too horrible. I was so woozy from the anesthesia that I think they took it easy on me...I only had to take one swallow. They took X-rays of my chest and a Dr. came in to confirm that there were no leaks...back to the room. Problem solved. It's pretty painless overall. 

Carmelita
on 6/20/12 12:56 pm, edited 6/20/12 12:57 am - Four Corners, NM

Dr. Alvarez of Mejico has a ton of neat videos on VSG...one of em is of a 24 hours post op leak test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEhZKJvR-ec

Also this link my help in identifying procedures, symptoms, stats on leak rates in US.
LEAKS and Strictures
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/vsg+leaks+and+strictures/

Also other VSG surgical videos...techniques n testing for leaks
BOUGIE in VSG
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/bougie+ in+vsg/
sunshine777
on 6/20/12 12:56 pm
VSG on 06/12/12
Mine was done the morning after surgery. I was given this unpleasant tasting blue dye to drink. 30 minutes after drinking the nurse came in to check if any of the blue dye showed up in my drain tube.
ruggie
on 6/20/12 12:59 pm - Sacramento, CA
My surgeon is "so experienced" now that he doesn't perform a leak test.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

I_Sd8_em
on 6/20/12 10:08 pm

D. Bolard in Louisiana said he doesn't do leak tests b/c they are extremely rare immediately post-op. If you have one it usually shows up in 1-2 weeks. What say you?

Michelle10929
on 6/20/12 1:10 pm - NC
Ok let me just come in here and be the Debbie Downer of this thread LOL.

Mine was the day after surgery (my worst day) and I was doped up on benedryl. So I was sleeping in the wheelchair in the waiting room. Then then bring me to the room, and I learned what its like to drink lemon lysol. I seriously about lost it.. that was miserable. Then they tilted me from a standing position to a laying flat on my back position. BLAH.. I wasn't a happy girl. And the lady before me was sitting in the waiting room barfing from hers LOL.

quirky1
on 6/21/12 5:18 am
VSG on 04/02/12
I am COMPLETELY with you! The Sh#t I had to drink tasted exactly like lemon Lysol and I gagged several times. They made me take several swallows of the heinous concoction. I also was on a tilt table so they took pictures lying down and standing up. Not a pleasant experience.

Height: 5"6" HW: 283SW: 228 CW: 147 Sleeve date 4/2/12            

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/12 1:38 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
My Dr doesn't do a leak test like this - he does his while you are still in surgery and he has the robotic arm go around all sides of the sleeve. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views