gagging, etc

starry957
on 6/25/12 3:54 am
Helpful it has been!
Everyone's responses have been helpful - I can't fathom feeling nauseous, etc...every time I try to eat or drink...and I guess I wonder at what point it either a) gets better or disappears or b) becomes completely frustrating and, dare I say, not worth it?  I guess as much as I don't want to spend the rest of my life obese, I also don't want to spend the rest of it being nauseous, worried about what I can tolerate, gagging or vomiting....

things I still need to consider I guess...

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

royaltys_journey
on 6/25/12 3:50 am - WI
VSG on 06/11/12
I am 2 weeks out today and at first, the bottom of my esophagus was swollen from surgery and things would sit there before trickling in to my stomach. (you can see a photo from my swallow study at the bottom of this page on my blog:http://www.royaltysjourney.blogspot.com/2012/06/dizziness-was-order-of-day.html) Because of my speed bump it took quite a long time to get in enough fluids each day as I had to sip sip sip very slowly.

For about 5 days as the swelling was going down, my stomach would do this tightening thing when I put things in it. Cold was worse than hot. It would tighten and hurt and then release. Now that it has subsided, I am up to 90 ounces a day of water/SF liquids with no problems.

My tastes have definitely changed. Things are much sweeter now, too sweet. I used to love malted milk and I tried adding a small amount to a vanilla protein shake and it was just too much. I could get down protein shakes no problem before but now it takes about 30 minutes to finish 8 ounces (sometimes less). I got alllll kinds of samples to try post-surgery and I am personally not a fan of the Syntrax fruity flavors. It seems like every protein shake comes in some sort of sweet flavor so my new favorite meal is 8 ounces of chicken broth with a scoop of unflavored protein powder.

My tummy definitely gurgles a lot more now. I don't really gag but this last week of protein shakes is getting tougher every day.

In the hospital I threw up twice from the liquid pain meds despite being given anti-nausea meds. The liquid would go in and burn like heck and then my stomach would reject it back up immediately. This did finally stop but it took a little time.

Like Somayeh said, it just takes time to adjust and accumulate. I am amazed and how quickly the recovery process has been overall and can't wait to start mushies!
NanaDebby65
on 6/25/12 4:04 am - North Richland Hills, TX

I had major gagging issues for about the first 6 months. Protein shakes were a no go. It was either the taste/smell or texture (gritty).

If it was the taste/smell, I couldnt even get it near my mouth without gagging. If it was the texture, once I took one drink, I gagged for about 30 minutes (never threw up though).

Foods, never knew when it was going to hit me. I LOVE cottage cheese. One day I would be fine and then the next I couldnt handle the texture. Greek yogurt, no way.

Meat, no problems, especially steak (I craved steak). Chicken, sat like a brick in my stomach (still does but I will occasionally eat it).

Not sure what the "turning point" was at 6 months but suddenly I no longer had the gagging issues, except with protein shakes. Thankfully though about that same time I found a protein powder I could handle (Dymatize ISO-100 Gourmet Vanilla). I still drink 2 shakes a day at nearly 2.5 years out.

I now love greek yogurt and cottage cheese, so those are regularly stocked in my frig.

Hopefully you will not have those issues, it was really frustrating!!

HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
starry957
on 6/25/12 4:59 am
I hope I don't either....it's starting to become more of an issue in my mind the more I read....

NanaDebby65
on 6/25/12 10:11 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Dont let your mind get the better of you!! Honestly most people do not have this issue while a few do. There is no telling how you are going to react post-op. Just hang in there and remember to breath!! :)
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
starry957
on 6/25/12 10:34 am
Thanks so much!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views