gagging, etc

starry957
on 6/24/12 9:27 pm
so, I'm continuing to read lots and lots, and noticing that ALOT of people have trouble tolerating certain foods/drinks/smells/etc.....post-op.
I guess I'm not fully understanding why people are so nauseous and have trouble drinking broth/protein drinks, water, etc after this surgery?  I worry about this alot and just wondered if someone could explain some of this to me....I "get" that the stomach has been traumatized and it is much smaller, but I've been reading the same complaints by people many many weeks out of surgery?
??

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

morgans
on 6/24/12 9:39 pm, edited 6/24/12 11:59 pm
VSG on 06/18/12
I think it just depends on the person. At the moment - a week out - I'm not gagging. I feel pretty good. I'm experimenting in the kitchen with some pretty potent herbs and spices and so far, all good.

I wouldn't worry about it so much. You're going to hear more from the folks who are having this experience than those who don't. People don't generally make posts titled "I'm not gagging"

starry957
on 6/24/12 9:48 pm
ha ha...true!  You know how some people (myself included) have fears of needles/blood, etc....?
I have it the same with gagging and nausea....I have never been one to experience either much in my life and I really don't want to.....ok, I'm a wuss....lol

Cindy22706
on 6/24/12 9:43 pm - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I am not quite sure why people do this either. I have never had any of this and I am 5 months post op. Like the other person said, it just depends on the person, I have never been one to gag at food and smells and such.

starry957
on 6/24/12 9:49 pm
but what about the difficulty with getting all of your "liquid" in, or your "protein" in....even if you don't gag/get nauseous....what is it that makes it difficult or is it only IF you are one that gags and gets nauseous?

Cindy22706
on 6/25/12 12:38 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I am not trying to sound stupid, but I dont think I understand the question :(

I had a hard time getting protein drinks in post op because they made me somewhat dump. I took ones that I liked pre op that didnt make me gag and then tried to use it post op but it just went right thru me. I have since found one that works that doesnt have a protein smell or taste or anything called syntrax matrix.

starry957
on 6/25/12 1:09 am
that's okay - I guess I was just trying to figure out if the reason people were not able to get in all of their liquid and/or protein was because it made them nauseous or gag or vomit or if there were some different reasons this is hard for some to do whether just after surgery or beyond...

Landrymarie
on 6/24/12 11:04 pm - VT
I had all the trouble.... I couldn't "eat" or drink, I was very nauseous (I was given a lot of meds for that while in the hospital) and I couldn't stand the smell of anything, in fact I kept saying what smells? all the time, and I actually even had trouble seeing - I couldn't read at all while I was out of work because the words were blurry.  It was tough for the first 4 weeks but the good news is it all gets better... and better... and better!  I am so very happy now!  It was hard but I am so happy to say I would go through it all again to get to where I am now.... I am LOVING the full feeling and eating so little!! Yippee!!!  Soooooo worth it!!

Soon_to_be_skinny_S
tacie

on 6/25/12 12:05 am - MA
VSG on 04/17/12
I could no sooner drink one of my Nectar protein shakes than I could a glass of spoiled milk. It's not "mind over matter", I just physically could not do it. I threw up a couple weeks ago just THINKING of trying to drink one!

I rather liked the shakes pre op. Now I'm wasting a lot of money trying to find one I can tolerate but I can't get them near my face.

I think everything smells, too. Like protein shakes lol.

Somayeh
on 6/25/12 3:06 am - Fountian Valley, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
Hey Starry,

I understand what you're going through. I spent 5 years researching everything I could about about post-op life before having surgery. That's a long time to wonder about physical sensations I wouldn't really be able to understand until after surgery. 

What makes the answer to your question so difficult to pin down is that there are a lot of different systems that are affected by bariatric surgery, and each one affects a post-op's experience of eating differently. The way these different changes stack up to affect eating & dreaking tolerance and preferrence is just going to be different for everyone. There's no way around that.

With that said, I'll give you my experiences at nearly 7 weeks out. =)

I haven't had any major problems with gagging or foods repulsing me due to taste/scent. My sense of smell *is* more sensitive, and early out, the scent of milk + protein powder was overwelming. On its own, I don't think it would have made me throw up. 

The main issue I've been experiencing has been that everything just .... feels different going down. There's no way I know of to adequately describe a purely physical sensation to you. It's just different....early out, my stomach was still healing and spasming in reaction to any stimulus. This meant that everytime I ate, it gurgled and spasmed. Sometimes the spasms were outright painful, but mostly it was simply uncomfortable. The spasming itself  is very similar to what happens when you throw up, and so I had a very gag-like physical sensation, but it didn't originate in my throat or the back of my mouth. It sort of started from the stomach up. LIke I said...it's difficult to adequately describe it. Ultimately, what it meant was that eating and drinking everything for the first couple of weeks is an uncomfortable business filled with burping and spasming and hiccuping. When you add the dififculty of newly overwhelmig smells, the combination makes the prospect of eating or drinking anything a chore. 

Now...in terms of how worried you should be about this... It's true that for some people, this can lead to repetitive vomiting and dehydration. But if you look at the studies on VSG, major complications (whi*****ludes not only this type of problem, but also leaks, strictures, etc****ur in well under 5% of the cases. Most studies say 2-3%.

We read a lot about it, because it's natural to turn to a support network like obesityhelp for advice, support, and sometimes, prospective. Early post-op life is basically all about adjusting and acclimating to your body working in a brand new way. And the burping...oh, the burping, gurgling and grumbling tummy. I swear, sometimes I feel like I understand what a newborn baby having to take in nutrition by mouth for the first time feels like.  

Anyway... I hope this helps.

Somayeh
Defining success by behaviors, feelings and NSVs!        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views