Issues coming off BP meds?

MommaPet
on 7/17/12 4:03 am
Has anyone had difficulty with stopping blood pressure meds/beta blockers? My cardiologist said she expects me to go off mine fairly quickly after surgery. I have missed (inadvertantly skipped) pills before and had issues with palpitations/PVC's and bp spikes. I'm sure it will all work itself out, but I am freaking myself out. My main goal of this surgery is to be free from all these side effect filled meds! I can't wait to be off them, but after so long WITH them, I'm scared! My surgery date was just postponed due to insurance issues, so one more thing to worry about...

chickerson605
on 7/17/12 4:05 am - La Vergne, TN
I came off three blood pressure medications about a month after surgery. I was getting dizzy and lightheaded and it was because I was over medicated. Stay in touch with your doctor and let them help you know when to reduce or eliminate medications. I would expect it's different for everyone depending on your history and weight.

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/12 4:20 am
I was on a beta blocker, too. My PCP weaned me off of it. First he cut my dose in half and let me sit there for a while. At that level I was still experiencing some dizziness and my BP was down around 105-110/60-70. He took me off of the lowered dose at the end of June. I had a few racing heart issues and elevated BP for a few days, but finally it all settled down. After about a week I was back averaging 110/60 and have stayed there.
Most people have withdrawal symptoms from beta blockers. That's why is't best two wean off of them. I stopped at a 25 mg daily dose and still had those minor withdrawal symptoms. You'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it. It's all good!
rhearob
on 7/17/12 4:34 am, edited 7/17/12 4:34 am - TN
 When I came off my BP meds, my PCP warned me of rebound hypertension.  He told me to not even take my BP for at least a week after stopping the meds.  I didn't have any issues.  I did have a brief stall about the same time.  Any change like that seemed to cause a small weight loss stall for me.  

Now, when I came off my BP meds I was walking 2-3 miles a day pretty regularly.  This was about 3 months after surgery.  After coming off my meds my BP stays around 115/70.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

comeundone
on 7/17/12 12:01 pm - OH
 I had to be upped from 25 to 50 mg after surgery my beta blockers mask when my blood sugar drops (this has happened 4 times post-op) I hope I can get off them soon. 
HW 289  SW 242

MommaPet
on 7/18/12 4:13 am
Thanks everyone! I guess it is really individual and a "Proceed With Caution" situation. I will stay in close touch with my doctors and hope for the best. I hope you all continue to do so well!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views