Post op/struggling with purees

autumnnc
on 7/22/12 2:11 pm
VSG on 07/03/12
So I had my sleeve done the 3rd of July. Everything was going pretty good for the 1st week. Now I am really really struggling to get my proteins in. I have tried different flavors and it seems they are ALL making me nauseous. I am also having difficulty finding things that don't upset my sleeve. Tried scrambled egg pureed did good the 1st time then yesterday I just about vomited. I don't know if I ate it too fast or what but, I really about got sick which scared me. It seems like soup and refried beans are all I can tolerate. I worry how long will this go on? I have lost 27 pounds since surgery but, I know I am not getting enough in. ANY suggestions????

comeundone
on 7/22/12 2:29 pm - OH
 if you can't drink protein shakes you can add powdered milk to reg milk and double the protein. I have found out that sometimes my belly is fickle,sometimes it will allow me to eat sometimes it won't,it will change it's mind daily 
HW 289  SW 242

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/12 3:27 pm
Okay, here's a little hard truth and one of my surgeon's favorite sayings - just because you can puree it, doesn't mean you should eat it.

My surgeon's rule for purees was that pureed food needed to be a soft food. Egg fits the bill there, but egg is often hard for new sleeves to deal with. I found that sticking to greek yogurt, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, protein puddings and those soft foods was a lot easier for me to deal with.

I relied on protein shakes for my protein and used my meals just to get my sleeve used to eating food again. I didn't rely on meals for protein until about 6 weeks out. Even then, I'd go back and forth between full liquids and softs and then trying solids again.

Your sleeve is very "young". Give it some time to heal and "grow up".

If you are afraid of losing too quickly, call your surgeon's office and talk with someone. They are the best equipped to help you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views