Eggs hurt!

itzmetinab
on 7/25/12 7:59 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
I'm 9 days post op.  I had my one week follow up yesterday and was advanced to a pureed diet.  I had Wendy's Chili for lunch and dinner yesterday and it was wonderful and well tolerated.  I tried scrambled eggs this morning and it didn't go so well.  I had a lot of discomfort as they were going down (along my sternum, between my breasts).  Since then even water has caused minor discomfort.  Is this normal?  Does it mean I shouldn't do eggs again?  Help! 
INgirl
on 7/25/12 8:14 am
It means you should back away from eggs for a little while. They tend to be hard on a new sleeve, try them again in a few more weeks.

You may want to backtrack on your foods for just a couple days, stick to softer stuff like ricotta cheese and protein shakes till the soreness passes, sounds like you irritated your stomach a little.
CincySlvd
on 7/25/12 8:17 am - OH
VSG on 04/24/12
You may find that certain things bother you.  Eggs don't necessarily cause a lot of discomfort for me now, but they do make be nauseous.  My suggestion would be to listen to your body.  Things will get better/easier in the coming weeks.  It seems like there are a fair number of folks that have issues with eggs.

Wendy's Chili rocks!  My NUT said it was an ok option for eating on the go, mostly meat and beans.

Good luck!
loverofcats
on 7/25/12 8:17 am
The same thing happened to me. I backed off eggs for a few months and was able to tolerate them at that time. For some reasons, eggs tend to give many people a difficult time early out. You could always try them cooked a different way, but I would just try them again, later on.

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

itzmetinab
on 7/25/12 10:31 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 Thanks for all of the feedback!  I think I'll go back to my full liquids for a day or two then try pureed again...minus the eggs for a while!
Jackie00
on 7/25/12 10:34 am
I don't know what to tell you, never had a problem with them. I was on clear fluids for the first week then two weeks of full liquids then off to puree foods. Sounds like eggs might not be your only problem, I honestly think it is too soon for more then liquids, but if your surgeon said it was ok, only they would know. If you continue to have problems I would suggest you go back to fluids and give the tummy more time to heal, hate to see you hurt yourself.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

AdeanaMarie
on 7/25/12 11:08 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Per my nutritionist, she had me stay away from eggs for a long time after surgery. Being a high allergy food, she said many people have trouble eating eggs early on and you do not want to ruin eggs for future use, since they are such a great protein. I only eat eggs occasionally now, but they are well tolerated at over 4 months post op.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

slatond
on 7/26/12 1:07 am
When I moved to puree' food, the first thing I had was egg salad.... and totally regretted it. It tasted fine but sleeve didn't like it (pain like u described). However I am 9 wks post op now and although I haven't had egg salad again. I have had egg ( deviled / scrambled and chopped on a green salad) and it did fine ( but just got up the nerve to try again w/in last wk or so!) :-)
kitsyb
on 7/26/12 5:38 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12
I had Wendy's chili for lunch today - love it.  At 6 months out I can still only eat 1/2 of a small one.  The way I was able to eat my scrambled eggs at the puree stage was to add cottage cheese or cream cheese before cooking.  They stayed soft and went down easier.  Now I have plain scrambled eggs every morning for breakfast with no problem at all.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views