The easy way out??????

suitebliss
on 8/12/12 9:26 pm - Southfield, MI
VSG on 03/01/12
 My little cousin said that my weight loss was the "easy way out".  I told him to never say that to a bariatic patient because there is nothing easy about:

eating 3/4 bites and getting full, especially after eating full meals all your life
going under the knife
drinking protein shakes
drinking one hour before and after meals
taking 30-45 mins to eat a meal, which is only 2-3 ozs of food
throwing up after eating too fast

Nothing has been easy about this process, worth it maybe, but certainly not easy.  All the things lve listed above maybe some challenges along the way, but loosing the weight makes it all worth it.  I THANK GOD EVERYDAY FOR THIS THIS SURGERY!!!!

HW: 350 SW: 332 CW: 198 GW:  167
Pre-Op Loss: -7lbs M1: -23lbs (299) M2: -20 (279) M3: -8 (271) M4: -8 (263) M5: -13 (250) M6: -10 (240) M7: -7 (233) M8: -8 (225) M9: 10 (215) M11: (215) M12: 7 (208) M13:1 (207)M 14(205) M15 (203) M16 (201)

1st short term goal: 290 (done 4/16 @ 288). 2nd short term goal: 275 (done 5/20) 3rd short term goal: 250 (Aug 1) 4th short term goal: 220 (11/30) 5th short term goal 199 (wonderland) (November 2013) NEXT GOAL:  190lbs

Missey J.
on 8/12/12 9:32 pm - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
Well said !!!

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Anne D.
on 8/12/12 9:33 pm
Driving a car to work is the easy way out, but I don't see too many people walking to work......just saying

cutesychu
on 8/12/12 9:48 pm
I absolutely hate when people say that. It's one of the few reasons I decided to keep my sleeve a secret from most people. We still have to eat right and exercise just like anyone else. Be proud and happy for yourself for making a step in the right direction. I know I am.
Ash

mauigirl2
on 8/12/12 10:38 pm - kihei, HI
Can;t imagine he came up with that on his own.... must have heard it from somewhere.  Awful, nothing easy about it.

danzeppelin
on 8/12/12 10:58 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
Yep, one of the main reasons I ain't told anybody either. And i won't! I'm not a very good confrontationalist... Just my nature. Mean, onery, and tough as shoe leather. Don't need the stress, got e'nuff!

Calking
on 8/13/12 1:14 am
VSG on 05/31/12
I find this thread interesting ... about whether or not to tell people about the surgery.  Who cares what they think.  What were these people thinking about and talking about when you were obese?  They couldn't have had very high opinions of you and your food weaknesses.  

So you are looking better and you are getting healthy ... I ask who cares what other people think or say.  You are better off having done this and it's not their health that is affected.  

I tell anyone and everyone and could care less what they think.  Everyone in my family knows and most all of my friends know.  If I have spoken with a friend in the last three months ... they know.

Heck, if I go out to a restaurant and am having trouble figuring out what to get I even tell the waitress.  I don't care what she thinks.  This has been great.  Once a food server that knows the ins and outs of the menu and what the cooks can and will do to help out ... you get suggestions that are very helpful. A great example of this is one place I went to had bunches of fried chicken and chicken wings on the menu as it was a "chicken wing" based restaurant.  I can't have those.  I know better.  I told the waitress and she said instead of breaded and fried chicken tenders she could have the cook grill the tenders for me.  It was great.  I had three tenders (their small meal portion) and ate one and took two home.  Victory.

When I was a month out I needed new clothes.  I went to a thrift store as I know the clothes are basically rentals.  I told the salesperson.  I was congratulated on the weight loss and she even went one step beyond.  Since she realized that what I was buying I would have short term, she said she could sell me the clothes and when I got smaller I could bring them back and trade them in for new ones at no extra cost (as long as they were still in very good shape).  Victory.

I tell anyone I see when I think it is relevant to what I am doing.  I obviosly don't care what they think and nobody on this forum should.  I also obviously don't walk around a mall and up to strangers and just start talking about it.  But when it comes to clothes shopping on the way down or eating out or going anywhere where you will be eating ... I have no problems sharing.  If they can't handle it, then it's their problem not yours.

Long and short of it ... share with whomever you want and just don't give a bleep about what this or that person thinks or says if it comes out negative.  You are a better, healthier, and happier person due to this surgery.  Be proud of your accomplishment and don't share your happiness.  

Of course at this point I could make up some pun about having thin skin or something along those lines ... lol

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

jubjub
on 8/13/12 5:40 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 Well said, sir!  I follow these thoughts as well, and so far it hasn't caused me any stress. I've found people to be mostly helpful and supportive.  We spend far too much time, as you say, worrying about what other people think.  We allow that to drive a lot of our behaviour.  

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

msgypsylee
on 8/13/12 7:41 am
Oh please. Unless that person has been struggling their whole life like most of us have they have no right to chime in. It's like people who don't have kids trying to give you parenting advice. They have no clue what they're talking about.

Dee60
on 8/13/12 7:57 am
VSG on 02/21/12
People say whatever ... unless they walk in our shoes, they have no idea. They just see the weight drop off and have noooooooo idea! I dont worry about other's ignorance. I dont let it bother me! 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views