To Tell or Not To Tell

Lisa S.
on 8/20/12 10:37 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
It is a very personal decision. I told a friend at church and now wish I hadn't. She lost about 70 pounds without wls. Now every time she sees me, she looks me up and down and asks how much I have lost so far. It is a yucky feeling. Others have been very encouraging. Most don't even say anything anymore. They just ask how I am doing.
My advice: do what is right for you. I am guessing you will have some people who will encourage you, and some that will be negative (if you share).
Good luck on your journey. It is amazing. I wish I had done it years ago.

jtshack
on 8/20/12 10:49 am - SC
VSG on 08/28/12
Valid points from everyone...I do think most of my family and friends would be supportive. For those that aren't, I'm a pretty strong willed and outspoken gal and have no problem defending myself - I just don't want to HAVE to do so. I hear the same arguments from those who oppose it and as much as I want the support, I have to weigh the effects of the negativity too. Still kicking it back and forth, but leaning towards being quiet until it's over. Once I tell, I can't unring the bell. 

~ Tracey from SC ~ VSG on 8/28/2012 with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana

Start - 250 ~ Surgery - 218 ~ Current - 145

carebear32958
on 8/20/12 1:39 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
I told all my friends, family and co workers.  I decided I wasn't going to be ashamed for taking this route and as long as everyone knew this is what I really wanted and I was working hard to achieve I could block out the meanies.  It was awesome cuz my cell phone and facebook were blowing up the day I had the surgery and even still to this day ppl text me or call me to see how I am doing.  I'm happy with all the choices I have made and yes its a personal decision.  Not everyone (like me) surrounds themselves with strong supportive people.  So think about it because once you tell you can't take it back, and on the opposite spectrum, there may be people in your life who are hurt by you denying them the privilege of forming their own opinions.  Good luck
Kari

jtshack
on 8/20/12 4:03 pm - SC
VSG on 08/28/12
I hadn't thought about anyone being hurt because I DIDN'T say something beforehand. I can think of several people right off the top of my head that would be offended that I didn't trust them enough to tell them about this. Hmmm...this thought changes things.  

sleevegirl
on 8/20/12 6:52 am, edited 8/20/12 6:52 am - Austin, TX
Very personal decision and no right or wrong answer... for ME....

I told my family members and a close circle of about 20 friends that I'm lucky enough to have. I told my two main employees as well.

Six months out, when I hit 100 lost, I told the general public. I've never had a single person say a single bad thing. My personal blog is at beauchampfamily.com - look for my post in early December, that's how I told everyone

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

jtshack
on 8/20/12 4:55 pm - SC
VSG on 08/28/12
 I don't know what you do for a living, but you should write...

I found the post where you made your announcement and I thought it was wonderful. So down to earth and easy to read - and funny!  

This is going to sound really dumb, so bear with me...here comes brutal honesty...

For 90% of the people I interact with on FB, I honestly don't care if they approve or not. It's not their body. It's not their money. It's not their decision. I didn't ask my parents for permission and I'm certainly not going to ask the good people of FB for their permission. But I do have a lot of friends from high school and one ex husband who haven't seen me in 20+ years. I didn't even go to my high school reunions (yes, TWO of them) because I was so ashamed of how big I've become. My FB doesn't show pictures of me - head shots ONLY. To reveal that I'm going for VSG is to reveal that I'm fat to them. I know this shouldn't bother me, but it DOES. I want the support of my family and friends - I'm self employed and don't interact with others much - but I've had all day to think about this since I made this post this morning and when I get down to the root of my fear, that's it. I'm ashamed to let my high school friends and my ex husband know how big I am. 

If I can mentally get past that, I'm ready to announce it and ask for support...I think I'm gonna need it.

sleevegirl
on 8/20/12 8:02 pm - Austin, TX
Here's the thing... you don't have to tell them. It's completely 100% up to you. I didn't tell people for a lot of reasons, but I know so many people with weight problems that after that 100 pounds, it felt fake and false to me. I honestly don't care if they think that I took the easy way out or whatever else. They've all been supportive to my face and who cares otherwise. It's my body and my decision. I'd do it again 10 times over if I had to.

((HUGS)) It really truly is a personal decision that everyone has to make... the when/if to tell others.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views