Diarrhea Diatribe--Help from those who have BTDT please!

sledge
on 8/31/12 3:35 pm
 Hello.  Need some help from the Vets please on the fantastic subject of....Diarrhea.   Had my surgery on 8/21.   Everything great EXCEPT everytime I inject any type of protein (liquid), I have diarrhea within 1/2 hour...sometimes within 5 minutes.   I have tried..22 different types of protein powder from RTD premeire to Unjury Chicken Soup to unflavored, to Isopure to Syntrax nectars to....mint cookie....you name it.   I have tried it with water, unsweetened almont milk, lactaid skim milk.   I go back to work on Monday and quite frankly do not know what I will do.     I will figure it out if I must but I am looking for some hope here.

Did this happen to you?   How long did it last?   It it continue to happen when you were on mushies?

I mean...I am spending my life on the toilet and my ass is on fire.    Help!!!

HW: 406; Cons W: 348; start of pre op diet:320; Surgery Weight: 299; CW: 218;
Surgery 8/21/12

Here I come, Life.

emelar
on 8/31/12 3:46 pm - TX
Common problem for new post-ops.  Since it looks like you've ruled out lactose intolerance, I'd give myself a dose of Immodium and start dissolving some Benefiber in my drinks.  Fiber works both ways.  It'll clear up constipation, but it'll also firm things up.

If it's any comfort, this too shall change and you'll be looking back fondly at these days.  Constipation is a beeyatch!
happyteacher
on 8/31/12 4:40 pm
 There is a saying liquid in liquid out.  I never had an issue with that at your stage, but I did just get over a terrible bout of diarhea.  Somebody suggested immodium, and acbrown warned me against it.  I took it anyway.  I really think they need to change the name to "immobolized the colon" because I went right from liqued lightning to no activity for 6 days.  Really- just one little pill.  I have spent the last two days popping colace.  Things are moving along today a bit now...  

Just be careful with immodium!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/12 4:45 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I had my revision to sleeve on August 20.  I found What Goes In Must Come Out.

In other words, if all you are taking in is liquid, that's what's gonna come out.  Try some full liquids/early mushies like oatmeal, Cream of White, or, better yet, a tablespoon or so of plain white rice.  It will help.  A LOT.
WillItWork
on 9/2/12 3:50 am
Are you taking any prescription medications?  I had a similar situation for the 1st 4 weeks, it was dreadful. I was in despair thinking I had made a horrible mistake.  My brother had the surgery last year and went back to work 4 days later.
I was on 11 prescrition meds for diabetes, hypertension and rheumatoid arthritis.  Post op I did not tolerate one of the diabetes meds I have been on for over 10 years.  Once discontinued I improved within days. Blood sugar want down and stayed down. I also discontinued 2 of the arthritis meds. So far so good.  It's a new stomach with implications for overall physiology.  Review your meds with your primary care provider.

PS in the midst of this misery I  was coming back from dropping my son off at University only to get stuck on the turnpike between exits for over an hour waiting for the life flight helicopter to pick up the crash patients!  I was considering trying to get on the helecopter to get me to a toilet!

Most Active