The good and the bad

prairie-dog-girl
on 9/1/12 3:47 pm
The good- I'm pre-op,have lost 40 pounds.Have been going to the gym for a few months and like to exercise(was a avid exerciser in the past).Just before I was to start the 6 month diet, my insurance company dropped that requirement.So now my surgery  will be in October, instead of next year.The bad-I've have major pain issues with my foot for a long time, aggravated by walking all day at my job.I went to the foot Dr. yesterday and he said I have several issues that can only be corrected by surgery and it will be the only way to be pain free.I explained I was going on a medical leave soon and couldn't take 2 leaves close together, but, this pain is killing me.Sooooo,,,I decided to have the foot surgery 2 weeks after the sleeve and kill 2 birds with one stone if bariatric Dr. is ok with it.Gonna be interesting!
saraw79
on 9/1/12 5:02 pm - MI
VSG on 05/07/12
 Best of Luck... It will be hard doing both so close... :)
Pre op diet 224
Surgery day 212
month 1 to 2 i lost 9.6 pounds
month 2 to 3 i lost 7 pounds
month 3 to 4 i lost 6.2

happyteacher
on 9/1/12 5:44 pm
 I'm with you- if the docs say it is safe to double up then make the best use of that time off.  Only problem is I know in the past when i needed multiple surgeries they would really try to space them 6 weeks apart when possible... gives the body some time to heal.  I hope it works out for you and you are doing a fantastic job preop!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Elbie
on 9/1/12 7:43 pm
It is worth asking your docs, but you should be aware that your body is going to be nutirtionally challenged during that time and that might have an impact on how well your body can heal from the other surgery. It may be fine, but I would definitely ask the two docs to talk to one another about whether it is wise to do them so close. Or maybe do the foot surgery first and then the bariatric. But your docs should definitely communicate with one another. Also, will you be able to bear weight on your foot after the surgery? Crutches are hard under the best of cir****tances, never mind when recovering from major abdominal surgery. You should also be walking / exercising after bariatric surgery, and the foot rehab could throw you off track. I had ankle surgery myself 4 years ago, and I totally fell off the exercise bandwagon afterwards and it took me years to get back on. I know it is hard when you have to take time off from work, etc, but think of the long term outcome down the road. Good Luck!
Elbie
on 9/1/12 7:44 pm
And congrats on the weight lost so far! You go!
prairie-dog-girl
on 9/2/12 6:01 am
Thanks to all!I will be in a walking cast.If I wasn't in so much pain and my foot screaming at the end of the day after much walking at work, I wouldn't consider it. Also, I live in Michigan, the land of crappy winters. I don't want to be trying to do a walking cast in the snow.If I wait, the bad weather will be here and I'll have to wait several more months till good weather comes to get the foot surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views