post-op abdominal pain

sleevicidal_maniac
on 9/7/12 10:49 am
I'm 3 weeks out and despite complications, have had a pretty smooth ride so far. The last couple days, however, I have periods of intense pain around the largest incision (the one that my stomach was removed through)

It feels muscular, like maybe the sutres on the inside are pulling, but then other times it extends from my belly button all the way through to my back?

Do you guys think this is just soreness or should I be concerned?
NeedsSleep
on 9/7/12 11:21 am - IL
VSG on 09/20/12

I would advise you to play it safe and call your doctor's office.  I'm sure you're not the only person this has happened to but at least they can tell you what they think.

Keep us updated and I hope you feel better soon!!

Shagdoll
on 9/7/12 11:22 am
I didn't have a problem with my incisions but if it's making you feel uncomfortable, I would call the doc and have it checked out to make sure everything is healing the way it should. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Italian-Princess
on 9/7/12 11:34 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Sleevicidal

I had some twinges and tugging at several of my incisions (I have two extra due to an umbilical hernia repair at the same time I was sleeved)........each one, except for the drain incision, would pinch or twinge or tug at different times.  It seems it has to do with the inside stitches.  I'm 10 weeks out and maybe once a week or so, the largest incision still lets me know it's there even though it looks mostly healed from the outside.  Another thing to consider:  how much exercising are you doing?  Could you be putting stress on your abdomen?

If you are having more than "stabby" twinges or pinches and/or if they are very painful, I'd call the surgeon.  You don't want to risk any problems.  Better to learn that it's normal than to find out later that it is something you should attend to straight away.

I hope it's just the normal course of events and you don't have any problems.

Good Luck

Ree
emelar
on 9/7/12 11:37 am - TX
When in doubt, call your doc.  But the kind of pain you describe is pretty common.  A combination of muscles spasming and sutures pulling.
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/12 12:18 pm
I had the same issue my doc said it was due to the trauma my body was just put through and the muscle. I'm 3 weeks out today and still feel a bit of discomfort near the larger incision but the doc checked it and examined me and said i was fine.
Jls8877
on 9/7/12 12:31 pm
 I'm 2wks out but at my 1 wk postoperative my surgeon mention a hernia can develop at that site. You may want to call if pain continues thru weekend. Good Luck!
Carmelita
on 9/7/12 3:36 pm, edited 9/6/12 8:48 pm - Four Corners, NM
Kevin H.
on 9/8/12 3:36 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 You are describing what I had (and many others here.)

The muscles are stiched up where they opened you up to remove your stomach.  Whenever you use these muscles, you are going to feel the pull.  It took me about 4 weeks to get completely over it and heal but until then, I would feel pain in that area whenever I would bend over, roll over in bed, etc.

Best of luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views