Carb-orama!!!

prairie-dog-girl
on 9/9/12 10:01 am
I went to the final surgeon appointment yesterday and got a date of 10-29 for my sleeve.He told me I'd lost the most weight pre-op(40#) of any of his patient's in a long time.I've  been going to the gym regularly for a few months too.I'm also having foot surgery 2 weeks after the sleeve, to avoid taking 2 medical leaves at work (can't take the foot pain anymore).I thoughtI was doing pretty good ,untill today.I've been on a carb bender today, doughnuts and cookies galore!! What is going on here?? I really hate myself today.
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/12 10:11 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
You are rewarding yourself for a job well done or you are just having a slip.

Your surgery is seven weeks out.  You can afford an off day but, if you were required to lose weight to have the surgery, too much of a slip/too many off days could endanger the surggery actually happening.

Turn inward and try to figure out why you went on the carb bender so you can recognize the signs and avoid doing it again.

Good luck!
MaryContrary80
on 9/9/12 12:13 pm
VSG on 09/04/12
I think you need to start by taking the "hate" word out of your vocabulary. Eating carbs is not a reason to hate yourself. In fact, that vicious cycle of self loathing and then eating is part of what got many of us so big in the first place. It's just a doughnut, and a doughnut doesn't have control over you. Secondly, you need to look back at the first part of your post. You have lost a great deal of weight and shown tons of commitment to this new life. Don't expect perfection from yourself. You ate poorly, now you see that and now it's time for the stop sign. When I realize I am getting a bit out of control, I literally close my eyes and visualize a stop sign. Over the past couple of months it has helped me dramatically. I CAN stop, I don't HAVE to keep doing this. Now, I'm only a few days out from surgery, but I am arleady learning that this is a marathon not a sprint. In fact just seeing you talk about eating doughnuts and cookies makes my mouth water because those things are not going to be a part of my life for a long time, but the truth is, there is more to life than those carby tasty things, and you really already know that, and I think that's why you posted here. So to sum this up, what I think is that you are doing amazing, be proud of yourself, get back on track, and don't let the doughnuts win! 
loverofcats
on 9/9/12 5:14 pm
The important thing is getting back on plan and not beating yourself up. We all have good days and bad days. We're human and not perfect. You're human and will get back on plan. Success is getting right back on plan with the next meal and/or day.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

prairie-dog-girl
on 9/9/12 6:07 pm
Thanks to all.I guess it really scared me thinking as committed as I am to WLS and a healthier life, am I going to do this post-op?My fear of failure, (again) I think.Loverofcats, I see from your stats, your doing very well, congratulations!
Happy966
on 9/9/12 2:59 pm, edited 9/9/12 3:00 pm

I have those days because I am a compulsive overeater, and I have a tendency to use food inappropriately.  This isn't fixed by surgery.  I am very committed to the process, and yet I still have times of struggle with food, and times when I eat for the wrong reasons, eat the wrong things, eat too much. 

Hating myself, however, is *very* counterproductive to my long-term success.  That self-hate only makes me want to eat more.  Get all the crap food out of your house, and focus on getting through Monday without all the carbs.  You can do this, but not if you get mired in self-loathing.  I mean that in all seriousness. 

I struggle with food because it's how my brain works.  My job is to get up, and have a better day tomorrow.  My job is to do whatever I can do to not fall down, and to do whatever is necessary to get up when I do.  For me, I need the support and honesty of like-minded people. 

You can do this.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views