For those of you who had a stent placed...

Capt_Kirk
on 9/9/12 8:49 pm - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
 Posting for my wife, since she's a lurker and frankly, I'm stressed to the max and need reassurance or some answers.

Basically, my wife had the VSG done 4 weeks (as of tomorrow) ago.  Week 1 was fine, on the 2nd day of week 2 (8 days post op) she started having bouts of nausea that got worse and worse.  She was admitted to the hospital, released 3 days later, admitted again that night, and finally they found out she had an obstruction.  They placed a stent, and almost immediatley the nausea and cramping went away.

Now, she's had the stent for 9 days, and the pain is really bothering her.  It's a constant chest pain.  Because of it, she's basically lost all interest in life.  She walks around, head hung low, and could care less if she drinks her protein shakes.  She's lucky if she gets in 2 for the day.  I think this just exacerbates the problem, but no matter how hard I try, to encourage her, it's hard.  Her mother has been staying with us since the surgery, but will only be here for 2 weeks more.  I fly out tomorrow for 1 week, home for 1 day, then gone for another week.  Im just so concerned about her.  She's afraid to eat or drink anything because of the complications she had before.

I just want my wife back :(

dianne220
on 9/9/12 9:56 pm - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
 Does she have a follow up scheduled?  I would call her doctor asap.  Sorry she is having problems!  Good luck!
sleevicidal_maniac
on 9/9/12 9:57 pm
That's a tough one buddy and I'm very sorry to hear about her complications. I can relate to her feelings, also having complications, but I cant say I have lost interest in living. I am grateful to my wife for telling me she loves me constantly and when I was lacking interest in recovering stayed on my back to tell me how much she needed me.

Just make sure she knows how you feel and harass her with calls of concern. Burn up your cell phone minutes calling her. Make sure she knows you're thinking about her and ask her repeatedly about her protein. Also, before you leave, check out some different drinks. Ensure Clear is a high protein fruit drink with probiotics, vitamins, minerals and other essentials. It is way easier to drink and ensure than a regular protein shake. Maybe she'll have an easier time with it and be less reluctant to bail out on meals?

It's important that she gets protein but it's critical that she stays hydrated. Start by getting her drinking and then figure out how to get the protein in. It's only been 4 weeks and not 4 months - that's the good news.

Good luck Cap and us posted.
Capt_Kirk
on 9/9/12 10:00 pm - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
On September 10, 2012 at 4:57 AM Pacific Time, sleevicidal_maniac wrote:
That's a tough one buddy and I'm very sorry to hear about her complications. I can relate to her feelings, also having complications, but I cant say I have lost interest in living. I am grateful to my wife for telling me she loves me constantly and when I was lacking interest in recovering stayed on my back to tell me how much she needed me.

Just make sure she knows how you feel and harass her with calls of concern. Burn up your cell phone minutes calling her. Make sure she knows you're thinking about her and ask her repeatedly about her protein. Also, before you leave, check out some different drinks. Ensure Clear is a high protein fruit drink with probiotics, vitamins, minerals and other essentials. It is way easier to drink and ensure than a regular protein shake. Maybe she'll have an easier time with it and be less reluctant to bail out on meals?

It's important that she gets protein but it's critical that she stays hydrated. Start by getting her drinking and then figure out how to get the protein in. It's only been 4 weeks and not 4 months - that's the good news.

Good luck Cap and us posted.
 I really appreciate this response... I will definitely check those drinks out.

Her stent is supposed to come out in 2 weeks which is great.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views