Eating in Friends' Homes?

MuttLover
on 9/12/12 7:03 am
VSG on 11/14/12
I love to cook and have friends who love to cook (duh, I didn't get these hips by not eating!) -- so my question for you all is how you handled being a dinner guest in some one's home -- and how far out were you before you went to someone's home?

I expect my surgery will be in the Nov-Dec timeframe -- a time when we will probably be invited out  (since I don't expect I'd be hosting in any dinners then!).

Did you just eat (play with) small portions of whatever was served, or take some small portion of something similar to what was being served?

I am concerned about trying "new" foods at someone's home, as well.

Or is it easier to just decline invitations until the spring, when I will have more confidence in what I can eat in public (LOL!).

morgans
on 9/12/12 7:08 am
VSG on 06/18/12
If you get a holiday party invite within 2 months post-op of your date just make sure you plan ahead. 

I had dinner at a friend's house 2 weeks out and I just brought my own protein shake.

If you're on solid foods, just stick with the plan - a little bit of protein first and eat it slowly.

Tracasa
on 9/12/12 7:20 am
I was 4 weeks out at Christmas so I brought my protein shake and some soup. Everyone was very understanding I was happy just being with family.

slatond
on 9/12/12 7:31 am
I eat w/ family every Sunday lunch. I usually just take a small serving of the main meat and a little bit of whatever veg is available. If the options isn't something I can eat then I take something similar. ( ex. if they are having spaghetti.. I take my spaghetti squash and use some of the sauce.) If they notice @ all that I am eating something different they never comment. All are very supportive of me!
Shagdoll
on 9/12/12 7:49 am, edited 9/12/12 12:50 am
Yikes! Being sleeved around the holidays will be tough. I think it's best to probably drink a protein shake before visiting a friend's house. Do you plan on telling these friends about your surgery? If so, they will understand if you cannot eat. Plus, being so early out, you probably wouldnt be able to get in more that a few bites anyway. Try to stick to the protein dishes but make sure you are cleared for that particular type of food to protect your sleeve.
I personally think it's important to go on with your regular family & friend functions because we need to learn to incorporate our new lifestyle to fit in with everyone else.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

MuttLover
on 9/12/12 9:21 am
VSG on 11/14/12
Thanks!  None of close friends have weight problems, but we have some mutal friends who've had RNY -- so I expect I will tell them when I have it done, or afterwards.

I had thought maybe I wouldn't tell anyone until a few months out so it wouldn't be so obvious at meals, but if surgery happens around the holidays, I'll probably have to let everyone know then!

We are just getting to know our son's girlfriend's family, and may spend some holiday time with them -- so I didn't want to "go into it" with them quite yet.  I think they'd be supportive, etc., but I would rather not share meals with them until I can actually eat something!  LOL!

Also, at Thanksgiving, they do a big, several hour walk on Friday -- and I'm concerned that I won't feel up to it -- although I did fine on it last year! 

Oh well!  We will just see!
INgirl
on 9/12/12 8:16 am
I was eating at friends houses within three (on purees) weeks of surgery, they did know about it- so had hummus there for me (and them).. and good cheese. A couple T of that, I was happy! I would bring a protein shake then too since I was still drinking a couple of those a day.

I do always have my emergency protein stash in my purse, but I ate out at restaurants and friends houses regularly, early. I can almost always find something.. and I just go really slow when trying something new. I'd take my tiny portion of what I knew I could have and enjoy it. Go! Enjoy socializing.. this is all part of it. If they know about your surgery, ask what they may be having.. if it's a pitch-in, bring something you know you can enjoy easily.. but go, do not wait till Spring!

doggz109
on 9/12/12 8:49 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
 To be honest.....you are probably going to either not make any plans......OR

be upfront and tell people about your surgery.  

No real way to not explain why you can't even try their food while you sit there drinking your protein shake.

LDallas
on 9/12/12 11:58 am
VSG on 10/25/12
Oh gosh stressing bout this very topic. My surg sch for oct 25. We eat at friend's home for Thanksgiving! I have not told anyone about the surg. I am hoping i can eat soft stuff by then, pick at dressing, mash up some turkey...tell them i am dieting. My husband said i have to tell them because they will thnk i am sick!!! To make it worse, they are DOCTORS!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views