Any way to make heparin easier?

Urseo
on 9/15/12 4:51 pm - IL
VSG on 09/11/12
 The surgery went well, I'm recovering well, but whiny baby that I am, I am not having any fun whatsoever with the heparin shots.  3x a day for 2 weeks, and I dread my injections more and more every time.
Any tips or tricks to get me over my needle loathing?  I would appreciate it.
Thank you!
Wildcat-NYC
on 9/15/12 5:27 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 It gets easier...I had to do it also!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Urseo
on 9/16/12 8:55 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/12
 Thank you!
MuttLover
on 9/15/12 6:03 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
 I have trouble with any type of blood draw, so I googled something like "how to make blood draws easier" and in that results set were some tips from organizations that help people with chronic illnesses who need lots of shots and blood draws.  

The only one I recall for injections was to focus on something else (duh!) and to relax the area where you are getting the injection.  I just had my flu shot, and tried the relax the muscle technique, and didn't even realize I'd had the injection -- but I think some of it has to do with the skill of the person giving the injection!  I did compliment him on the technique, and he said that relaxing the muscle makes a big difference.

Best of luck!
Urseo
on 9/16/12 8:55 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/12
 Thanks!  I'm shooting up myself, so it's tough to relax.  But I will breathe and do my best.
Carmelita
on 9/15/12 6:40 pm, edited 9/14/12 11:45 pm - Four Corners, NM
Is it like that levenox sp? a yellow colored little syringe?

I had to inject DH (not WLS surgery) years ago w/ levenox 40 mgs I think twice a day..... he is such a wuss when it comes to needles...his least favorite word in the english language is HYPODERMIC...no lie!

The nurses taught me how to do it....I only caused him to bruise up a few times!

Remember sites you inject....inner to outter of belly button...or vice versa..alternate sides of belly.

1. grab a hunk of belly fat with one hand ... DEEP BREATH OUT

2. put needle in at a slight angle not straight in ...no dart deal. He has thick skin I guess ..cuz I had to pu**** in kinda hard. Like hemming a pair of jeans vs. sewing silk...lol!!

3. the whole needle in ...so it delivers deep

4. push the plunger...... slowly

5. put all contents (air n medicine) into his belly ...till the plunger stopped.

My surg didn't order em for me, I wasn't a risk factor? I dunno...I figured maybe cuz in the hospital I was walkin every chance I got..he'd have to track me down to find me..same as when I got discharged..I was walking big time ...mostly cuz I was so bored...but walking helps to prevent blood clots....promotes healing and builds stamina ,-)

HTH!

Urseo
on 9/16/12 8:54 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/12
 Thank you!  I will try to grab some flab next time.  I was afraid the answer would be "suck it up and deal", but everyone phrases it so nicely :D  It's good to know other people have been through it.
lucy2e
on 9/15/12 7:23 pm - Laurel, MD
I agree - grab a nice bit of belly fat and squeeze a little and go in at an angle.  It will be over before you know it! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

SouthernmostStar
on 9/15/12 7:40 pm
VSG on 01/25/12

Going in at an angle and doing it going in on an upward angle worked the best for me with the least ouch.  Although, to be honest, it didn't hurt all that much in the belly.

Ask the doctor if you can numb the area with an over-the-counter  topical anesthetic or even an ice cube first.  That could also help.

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

SuzanneR
on 9/15/12 7:53 pm - Randolph, NJ
 and just a note fron an RN (me) never massage or rub the area ater giving a lovenox injection 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views