4 weeks tomorrow and...

sid1176
on 9/20/12 1:27 pm, edited 9/20/12 1:43 pm
VSG on 08/21/12
I am actually SO much more tired and even less hungry than I was a week ago. Is this normal??
I had my 4 week post-op visit with my surgeon on Monday and he cleared me to start on solids but Sylvester (my sleeve) just isn't having any of that --at least on a consistent basis. I was able to get in some bites of chicken but I still seem a lot more comfortable doing soups and then eating the chicken and anything else that's left after it is very soft.

I also seem to only be able to do warm liquids--trying to get down a protein shake in the morning has just been horrible this week and I can't tell if I'm just having a bad week & just keep moving forward or what...

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks and happy Thursday!
Sarah
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare. It is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca
Sara R.
on 9/20/12 3:49 pm
Listen to your sleeve. You do need the protein though so try to slowly add it in. Like for dinner try a bite or two of chicken or cheese. and slowly move up from there. Just because you were cleared does not mean you have to do it.

Also, depending on what kind of shake your doing,  just keep them out of the fridge and see if you can tolerate a room temp shake. I remember not tolerating cold, i could barely swallow it. but the room temp shakes were ok.

sid1176
on 9/20/12 7:28 pm
VSG on 08/21/12
Thanks Sara!

I appreciate the thoughts--
I've been "listening" to what Sylvester seems to be telling me but I was just checking to see if I was on the right track :-)

Have a good night!
Sarah
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare. It is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca
Happy966
on 9/20/12 4:08 pm

Listen, there is no need to rush through the food stages.  It's fine to stay on liquids or mushies longer than "plan."  Chicken was a little too hard for me to digest the first time I had it, so I'd wait a while to have it again.

Are you getting in your fluids?  This is your first priority, then protein.  You can have a warm protein drink - this is my favorite anyway, which I still have several times a week.  I mix a scoop of my favorite protein powder into some almond milk, then once it's all mixed up I add coffee.  It is yummy.  If you don't like coffee, you could add some warm (not hot) almond milk to a chocolate protein powder and have a hot chocolate.  Also, you can try the Unjury chicken soup - I was a big fan and it's warm and savory, not sweet like all the other protein options.

I drink a whole pot of herb tea at work every day.  I used to drink coffee all morning, but now I find a cup or two at home is plenty.  The tea gives me the hot drink fix I need.

I was really, really tired for the first 6 weeks.  I fell asleep at the office 3 times in the first 2 months, though thankfully always after 5 p.m.   

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

sid1176
on 9/20/12 7:26 pm
VSG on 08/21/12
Hi Happy!

Yes, I am being really good with my fluids--I keep a big glass of water next to me throughout the work day and make sure I'm sipping all the time :-)

Thank you for the suggestion on the protein powder, almond milk & coffee--I'm going to try that tomorrow morning. I do have some samples of the Unjury chicken soup that I'll have to locate in the cupboard and try those too.

I appreciate all the comments on not pushing things and staying on liquids and mushies longer than "plan". That was where I was leaning. I didn't feel any pressure to move forward but, I guess being cleared for solids I was expecting to be able to tolerate them. LOL.

Thanks again,
Sarah
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 170 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 448 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 469 views